Scheduled Start of a task

Hi,

I defined a scheduled start to a process task based in one expression. This expression is one date and it's work. The task only appear in the list tasks on the date defined. But, I want the possibility to pick the task before the date that I defined in my expression. Is this possible? How can I do this?

Thank you!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Can you clarify what you mean by "pick the task"?  If you just mean you want the user to be able to open the task earlier than its scheduled time, then why are you even giving it a scheduled start time?  You could just launch the task immediately and let the user open it whenever they want.

• Hi Mike, 

Thank's for your answer.

Yes, I want the user to be able to open the task earlier than its scheduled time, but I don't want the task in list of tasks before scheduled time. It's a requirement of the project...

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Rita Ferreira

The task would need to be visible in their task list in order to open it earlier than its scheduled time.

Honestly, this requirement sounds like it's self-conflicting, and the only advice I can really think of is that you probably need to push back with your stakeholders and get them to decide on one thing or the other, because other than inventing something wildly unconventional, untested, and most likely fairly buggy, these are mutually-exclusive options.

• Hi Rita,

Just picking up on this answer. How are you expecting the user to pick a task before its scheduled time but not having it appear in the task list? Can you shed some more light on how you see the user journey for this scenario? Please include references to how you are picturing developing this (Tempo Task List vs Task Report in a Site) so we can help you further

• Hi Pedro, 

Imagine that I finish some task where I define a date. That date is the final date of a process outside of Appian and I need that process to be concluded to continue the process in Appian and make the next task. So, I don't want the next task in task list until the date defined previously. But, if the outside process of Appian is finished before the date defined, I want to be able to pick the next task before the defined date.  

I want to develop this to tempo task list. 

Now, I thought I could launch the task immediately and assign it to some group and then reassign the task to the correct group responsible for the task  in the date defined previously using Appian escalations options. And, I would like to have a process that allows the user to assign the task to him or a group before the defined date.

ie, having an interface where I could search for the process and their tasks and choose the task to reassign. Is this a good idea?

Thank you.

• We typically implement a follow-up concept. A task is assigned. If it cannot be completed within 1-2 days, the user submits the task, process persists some data in DB and ends. A polling-process restarts follow-ups at their due-date. The interesting part is, that this follow-up can be triggered manually at any time, typically from a record. You might need to align with business about the differences of a task and a follow-up.

• Rita,

As Stefan mentioned in his response, you should consider a more record-centric approach to your problem. I'm assuming here that your task will act on top a Record. If that is the case, you could consider having a Related Action in that Record that would be used for all those cases that can be worked before time. For the "normal" ones, your polling process could examine your DB on a daily basis and evaluate what tasks needs to be triggered. I believe this approach is cleaner than the one you mentioned above since it would not need any "fake" group to held the tasks temporarily and would avoid long-living process instances.

Bear in mind, that this approach would not prevent you to have "an interface where I could search for the process and their tasks and choose the task to reassign".

Hopefully this helps.

Reply Children
No Data