In process model, I have update view with populated data i need to store copy as old version before save/submit

Hi All,

I am able to update one entry of a ticket.

In process model, I have update Form view with populated data; i need to store copy as old version i.e. before submit/save using process model as per below screenshot,

How to achieve this?

Finally, i want to get list of all updates done previously for a given ticket number and show in table grid view.

I guess before submit/save i need to add some node.to insert data before save data

Thanks,

Deepak

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• As a best practice, maintain a history table in DB, which records the changes.

• yes, I want to maintain historic table but how to design process model ? How to design and write ?

• The changes to be done on DB side.

Create triggers on the existing table and insert the values into a new history table.
    I am not sure about the syntaxes, https://mariadb.com/kb/en/trigger-overview/ should be helpful.

From Appian - You can then simply query the history table

• As other users have mentioned, you may wish to use your underlying database to do the heavy lifting of data version management.

You may also wish to have a history table that allows you to insert the old copy of the data as a historical copy and update the current data into the current version table.  In order to do that you might take several approaches:

1)  Have two Write to Data store node entries (which may even be parallel flows) that write the old copy and update the current data.
    3) Use a write to Multiple Data Store node to do both of those jobs in one node. 

I prefer the first option for any analysts and future maintainers, because it's easy to label two nodes meaningfully, but one node would require a little investigation to understand.

From a CDT perspective, it might look like this:

Main table:

• {   id: 1, firstName: "Richard", lastName: "Nolan"  }

History Table:

• { id: 1, recordId:1, firstName: "Rich", lastName: "Nolan", dateModified: "01-09-2021"},
    • { id: 2, recordId:1, firstName: "Rich", lastName: "Noland", dateModified: "12-26-2020"},
    • { id: 3, recordId: 12, firstName: "Mark", lastName: "Smith", dateModified: "11-17-2020" }

You could then always select data from the history table by recordId and order by dateModified to see the historical changes to a given record in the main table.

It might look like this: 

Example Process Model

If you feel like you need to do some error checking, you could probably evaluate the success of the first write before performing the second.