Targeted message activates another receiver

A Score Level 1

Version : Appian 20.3.

I have a process with 2 Event Receivers : "External_Escalaion" & "Escalation".

I have a User Input node which escalates, sending  a message to destination called "External_Escalation" (in the same process).

I would expect to receive the message only on the "External_Escalation" node, however it triggers

the other as well.

Any clues ? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I know why!  Appian does not initiate a process with a start form until you complete the start form.  It actually comes highly recommended that you make as many processes with start forms as you can for this reason.  It really, really saves your engines not having to run until the process is really going.

In your case, it prevents the escalations from doing anything until the process is started running, which would be after the start form completes.  That's the whole problem, that whoever won't fill out (or can't fill out) the start form, so this process is in limbo.

The solution is to break with best practice and instead make this PM with no start form.  Just chain directly into a User Input Task as the first node.  Then stick the form that would have been a start form directly in there.  If it's not a Site action, users will have absolutely 0 change to their experience.  If you're using a Site, you unfortunately NEED a start form, so you may want to consider a very simple start form like "Ready to get going?  Click here!" and a single button.  In your case you want it to be basically impossible for your users to have not made it past the start form and into the main part of the form, where the escalations can help.

You also might want to consider configuring those End Nodes to Terminate.  My project has had no end of woes from processes that like to hang out forever, even after all the nodes are executed.  Best practice from Appian is all PMs should contain at least one Terminate node.

A Score Level 1
    in reply to Dave Lewis

Here is a simplified PM which demonstrates the same behaviour

PDF

• Nahum, can you share a screen shot monitoring a process instance of the simplified PM, after it exhibits the undesired behavior? 

Such as:

For the Terminate discussion, there is more process model off the screen there, but yes a Terminate End Note will be necessary as those events waiting for messages will keep the process is active even if the other flow(s) have hit non-terminating end nodes.

A Score Level 1
    in reply to Chris

Thanks for reply. however I will exit this rabbit hole without messaging as advised by David, Perter and yourself.

Reply Children
No Data