User input task

Hello,

In the "user input task" there is an option "Allow users to save a draft of in-progress tasks".

I'd like to know if there was a way to launch the save draft by the system, I mean if we can do the save without an user's action (click on the button or do the "ctrl+s" shortcut).

We need to be able to have kind of "auto save" of the current form.

Do you think that is possible ?

Thank you

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • Agree with Mike - I don't think this is possible. The only thing that might work (but would likely require a lot of effort) is if you wrote to a database table using a!writeToDataStoreEntity() on the task any time any field is updated. Then, whenever you load the form, you would pull the data from the database and the user would never have to save it.

I should clarify - I have never actually done this, so there might be some weird edge cases or it might just be too much effort to be feasible. Theoretically it should work though!

Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Agreed, if the requirement is strong enough and a high level of effort is acceptable, you could perhaps set up a custom table just to hold temporary on-form values pertaining to a specific user (indexed to their Appian username for example), wherein you store a JSON-ized text string representing a CDT containing all data editable on that form (or if it's a massive amount, maybe individual fields instead).  Then any time the user changes anything, the form could wrap that value back into the JSON string and instantly beam it back over to that table... and when a user loads the form in the first place, the table would be queried and checked to see if it already contains any value.

It should be underlined that this has nothing to do with the functionality found in the "save a draft" button provided by Appian - in fact I would suggest anyone going this route actually disable that button so as to not confuse matters more.