Parallel process and execution limit of 50 nodes

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

I would have a theorical question :

Let's say I have a very complex process that count 60 nodes, and the latter can not reach the end because of the 50 nodes limit.

Let's admit that 30 first nodes car be executed in parallel with the 30 remaing nodes. Does the limit of 50 nodes will occur nevertheless? 

(using an AND gateway for the 2 paths)

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
    Appian Employee
    in reply to cedric01

I think what Mike is getting at is: does every single node in the sub-process need to occur before you return to the previous page? For example, if some of the database writes update data in a related record but that information is not displayed on the page, then that doesn't need to be included in the activity chain.

Another thing to consider is if your large form should be broken up. For instance, a wizard is a common pattern where a single SAIL form can contain many fields. However, in some scenarios like this it can actually be advantageous to have several different forms that simulate a wizard that each have DB writes between them that split up the process into smaller chunks of less than 50 nodes.

The last thing I'll mention is a little more about how activity chaining works. Any nodes that are activity chained are given a higher priority by Appian to try and execute as fast as possible. So while it's a good procedure for ensuring your data is updated, we intentially limit this to 50 nodes to ensure that we have a limited number of nodes running at this higher priority. For the same reason, it's usually a good idea to see how activity chaining can be limited or worked around in your application to ensure the best performance and scalability.

Children