How to launch a modal user task from a process ?

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

Could you tell me if it is possible to launch a modal user task from a process ?

I need to display a simple interface B (with only readonly data) above another interface A, but I need the later interface to be not refreshed, so I would need a modal dialog.

It seems we can do such a thing with RecordType options (choose the modal dialog appearance), but I need to do it with a simple process (without any RecordType).

Is there any parameter for this ?

Regards

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• It's not possible to launch a task form in a dialog window, but could you still use a record action to do this? Also could you provide more information about your use case - are you just looking to display data or is the user going to take some kind of action in the dialog? How do they get to interface A (is it a task / record / report / etc)?

in reply to Peter Lewis

Unfortunately... it is what I've read over the forum... but I was hoping a workaround to do it anyway.

because my need is very simple:

When the user clicks on the button, he needs to display a new interface that contain a readonly grid (populated with a classic ER).

There is not any User interaction in this Interface, juste a Cancel button to close it (exactly like a typic modal dialog).

Currently, when the user is in the Interface A, if he clicks on the Button he sees the classic Internet browser message "Are you sure you want to quit this page?"  because the Button is pluggued on another process.

Schematically, we have a process A which launch the Interface A, and a process B that launches the Interface B.

Appian Employee
    in reply to cedric01

Ah yeah unfortunately if interface A is from a task, then any link will likely show that message that you described. Does it have to be a dialog though? Could you just have a button on your interface that could show or hide the grid inline on your task?

in reply to Peter Lewis

Finally, I've solved the issue with a RecordActionField (the process is called in DIALOG mode) and all works fine.

Initialy, I was thinking to not use any RecordType. So,yes, I was considering the show/hide grid inline mecanism inside the same interface.

Thanks a lot Peter for your help.