XOR Gateway Not Saving Condition Result Pathway

I am doing the Acme Auto Exercise for the Appian Developer coursework and am having some issues saving configuring the XOR gateways to save the condition pathways.

The instructions as listed under "Appian Step-by-Step #9":

1. Configure the Cancel XOR Gateway

In this process, if a Mechanic cancels the start form, the process will end. If a Mechanic submits the form, the process will continue to the next process node. Follow the steps below to configure the Cancel? gateway.

1. Drag and drop an XOR Gateway into the Maintenance swimlane to the right of the Start Node. Rename it to Cancel?

2. Drag and drop an End Event into the Maintenance swimlane above Cancel?. Rename it to End - Cancel. Connect the Cancel? and End - Cancel nodes.

To connect, hold down SHIFT on your keyboard, and then click from one node to another. SHIFT will automatically toggle your pointer to the connector tool. You can also

use the Connect icon to connect the nodes.

3. Drag and drop an XOR Gateway into the Maintenance swimlane to the right of Cancel?

Rename it to Scheduled?

4. Double-click the Cancel? gateway, and navigate to the Decision tab.

1. Click the New Condition button, and then click the Expression Editor icon next to the first condition. Select the cancel process variable from the Data tab, or simply type pv!cancel. Click Save and Close.

2. For the first condition, select End - Cancel in the Result column. Put Yes in the Path Label column.

3. For the second condition, select Scheduled? in the Result column.

4. Click OK. Add the label Yes to the connector leading from Cancel? to End - Cancel, and the label No to the connector leading from Cancel? to Scheduled? To add labels, right-click each individual connector, and select Add Label.

5. Click File > Save & Publish.

I follow the instructions exactly, click okay, and then get errors for each of the XOR Gateways I've tried to configure - "Activity Class [name of XOR Gateway] on node XOR contains a rule that goes to a node that it has no path to."

I get this error for each of the XOR gateways I try to configure and am unable to run the process as a result. The condition result stays selected for "Else if no rules are TRUE" but for any condition I create, the result selection unselects after clicking OK. 

Any ideas what is causing this? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Please post a screenshot of the configuration of your XOR node.  Generally each condition you add must have a node selected as an output, and the error message you're reporting sounds like the standard error message one would get if this was forgotten, but among all the details included here it's difficult to distinguish what the actual issue might be without an overview of the node configuration.

• I'm having issues uploading a screenshot for the time being. I'll try to describe the process flow:

Start Node to "Cancel?" XOR Gateway

"Cancel" XOR Gateway connects to both an end event called "End - Cancel" and another XOR Gateway called "Scheduled".

When double-clicking on the "Cancel?" XOR Gateway to configure under decision tab, I have two conditions:

1. If =pv!cancel is True go to "- Select Node" (this is what is causing me issues) 

2. Else if no rules are TRUE go to "Scheduled?" (this one stays selected just fine)

For all my XOR Gateways, once I create a condition and tell it which node to go to under result, I click okay and then when clicking back into the configuration, it shows the go to selection unselected once again causing the errors.

I just don't know why it is unselecting my selection for the conditions and then tells me the node has no path it is going to which is true because it is unselecting the node it should have a pathway to.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to TaPa
    once I create a condition and tell it which node to go to under result, I click okay and then when clicking back into the configuration, it shows the go to selection unselected once again

Is it doing this 100% of the time?  Can you confirm that after you select the output path, you're pressing "OK" in the UI, and not "Cancel" or pressing "Esc", etc?

What happens if you populate the logic with something hardcoded (like "=true()"), instead of a PV?  (The PV method should work, but i want to rule out the possibility of the issue lying there).  How about if you create a totally blank process model and try the same (basic) setup?  Just to rule out it being an issue in your current process model somehow.

If the node configuration continues to behave this way no matter what you try, then I assume it might be an issue with your appian instance, though I've never seen a problem that would cause this particular behavior.

As a general Community tip, you can paste screenshots into comments here directly from your system clipboard - i.e. via using Windows Snipping Tool or any other screenshot utility (i like "Greenshot" which is free and much superior to the built-in snipping tool), pressing "Copy", then coming here and pressing CTRL+V to paste into the comment.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to TaPa
    once I create a condition and tell it which node to go to under result, I click okay and then when clicking back into the configuration, it shows the go to selection unselected once again

Is it doing this 100% of the time?  Can you confirm that after you select the output path, you're pressing "OK" in the UI, and not "Cancel" or pressing "Esc", etc?

What happens if you populate the logic with something hardcoded (like "=true()"), instead of a PV?  (The PV method should work, but i want to rule out the possibility of the issue lying there).  How about if you create a totally blank process model and try the same (basic) setup?  Just to rule out it being an issue in your current process model somehow.

If the node configuration continues to behave this way no matter what you try, then I assume it might be an issue with your appian instance, though I've never seen a problem that would cause this particular behavior.

As a general Community tip, you can paste screenshots into comments here directly from your system clipboard - i.e. via using Windows Snipping Tool or any other screenshot utility (i like "Greenshot" which is free and much superior to the built-in snipping tool), pressing "Copy", then coming here and pressing CTRL+V to paste into the comment.

Children