If I have an Asynchronously Sub-Process within a Sub-Process and when the Sub-Pr

If I have an Asynchronously Sub-Process within a Sub-Process and when the Sub-Process node is re-executed and the "Delete previous instances that are still active" is checked... would the Asynchronously Sub-Process instance be deleted as well?...

OriginalPostID-104288

OriginalPostID-104288

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Could you clarify a bit? Do you have main process > synchronous sub-process > asynchronous sub process? Are you re-executing the mid-level sub-process?
  • Yes I have a main process and within it I have a Synch Sub-Process, that SP has a quick task to enable our HR department to update the information of a staff's contract information. When the quick task is updated (via a button), it starts a series of checks and updates the profile in BPM if needed and sends email to various department. The SP ends, it goes back to the main process to get restarted again so that the Quick Task is once available to perform updates.

I think what I will do is remove the BPM profile update from that SP... once it comes out of the SP I will check if the profile needs to be updated. If so it will start another SP which will contain a timer to make sure it's only done on the date listed. I was trying to have it within the other process.. And I have to be able to restart the timer if the information is changed by another quick task profile update.
  • When you configure a "Sub-process" activity and select "Asynchronously: Node will complete when sub-process is started", as described in that option, the node will complete immediately after the sub-process instance is launched, therefore the instance of the sub-process activity inside the parent will show up as "Completed".

That said, the "Delete previous instances that are still active" will not apply in this case when you re-execute the sub-process activity because as this option states it applies to "still active" instances but there are no active instances of the node since the node already completed.

Notice that the term "instances that are still active" refers to node instances of the sub-process activity (the icon that holds the configuration of the sub-process activity inside the parent) and not to the status of the sub-process instance. In this case even if you have that feature enabled, re-executing the sub-process activity will launch a separate asynchronous process instance without doing anything to the original one.