Gateway for merging the flow of 1 to N pathways.

Certified Senior Developer

Hello!

I have a requirment to have a complex gateway connected to 15 tasks star some  those tasks, finish them, then end the process.

I am trying to figure out how have a gateway that goes forward only when the handful of tasks started complete.

Here is a few examples.

Process starts with a parameter of "Billing".

My complex gateway starts tasks 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, & 12.

Those tasks finish.  Meeting at some kind of end gateway.  Gateway somehow knows i want to proceed and the flow goes to the end node.(this is the part i need help with)

Process starts with a parameter of "QA".

My complex gateway starts tasks 4, 5.

Those tasks finish.  Meeting at some kind of end gateway.  Gateway somehow knows i want to proceed and the flow goes to the end node.

How do I make a gateway to deal with these incoming flows?  AND gates would wait for all 15 every time, complex doesn't work because the paths that need to complete are different sometimes.

I was thinking of a counter variable, but dont see a way to refrain from proceeding based on a variable.

At the moment I am pondering using a 5 min waiting loop, as this lets me direct based on a task  counter i could keep track of.

I  summary I would like some feedback on other ways to accomplish my goal of reconnecting these 1 to n flows and proceeding to my end node intelligently.

Thanks

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

FWIW, whenever I need to approach something like this, I usually defer away from complex gateways and use a more manageable design pattern like this prototype, wherein *all* paths are launched and non-needed ones are simply skipped over.  As far as I can tell, this circumvents the various pitfalls you mentioned pretty nicely, and even though it's slightly more costly in terms of nodes used, it's much more manageable and comprehensible.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thanks. I think this fits my issue perfect without needing too many changes too.

For me the path 1 2 and 3 subprocesses are all the same process outfitted with different parameters, so i can probably cut down on nodes by including the not needed path inside the process and taking the not needed path within  based on a parameter.

Reply Children
No Data