Anyone else noticed this quirk with the AND gateway and chaining?

Certified Lead Developer

While troubleshooting an apparent error just now, I noticed that all completed instances of a relatively simple process with an AND gateway had failed to execute both of its outgoing paths.  The key factor here is that the process chains (unattended) all the way to a Terminate node, presumably because after the user submits their task in this subprocess, they're expected to chain into a followup task back at the parent level.

However I never realized this constraint was in place - that is, the process executes all possible chained paths (up to and including a terminate) before it will execute the other AND gateway outputs.  This seems like a bug to me - but am I wrong?  Has anyone else noticed this?

I was able to recreate the behavior with this very, very simplified example process, if anyone's having trouble picturing what I'm referring to:

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I think you'll find some very interesting things.  Accordingly, if you have an OR gateway, and all the outgoing flows are valid, then the documentation SAYS that one of the flows will be first randomly.

However, when I tried it, I consistently got one of the flows to finish first when attempting to create a race condition. (Fun to have a PM be your random number generator; sad it didn't work.)

Certified Lead Developer

I think you'll find some very interesting things.  Accordingly, if you have an OR gateway, and all the outgoing flows are valid, then the documentation SAYS that one of the flows will be first randomly.

However, when I tried it, I consistently got one of the flows to finish first when attempting to create a race condition. (Fun to have a PM be your random number generator; sad it didn't work.)

Children