Error Handling Write to Data Store Entity Smart Service

Certified Associate Developer

Is it possible to direct flow from Write to DSE Smart Service on error? 

Ideal scenario would have the DSE node fail, and based on error, flow would continue to different node. 

Right now process pauses when DSE fails and email goes out. Is it possible to continue process flow on DSE fail?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

No. The DSE node does not support this. With 22.3 the new Write Records node allows you do disable the default error behaviour and allows you to design a different path in case of errors.

May I ask what you would want to do in case of an error? I almost never wanted to deviate from the default in the past.

• I believe there is a Feature Request somewhere for allowing to choose the "Pause on Error" setting true/false on Write to DSE, as we have in the older Query DB node ?

My biggest use case for this, is when you write to a database that may be offline on occasion, expected or unexpected.  In this scenario (with the Query DB node), I can route them all to a Receive Message node on error.  Say 100 process instances error, and move to the message node.  Once the DB is back online, I can trigger a message to all of these processes waiting with 1 click and they all will re-attempt the DB write and continue on successfully. 

Appian Employee
    in reply to Chris

Our planned feature for 22.3 that Stefan mentioned above is basically our approach to meeting this use case. Our intention is to add capabilities to the Write Records smart service to continue to make writing to the database easier for a variety of scenarios, and that's why we added the pauseOnError option to that smart service.

If you haven't seen how it works yet, I'd recommend looking at the recent product announcement webinar or stay tuned for the 22.3 release in a couple of weeks!

Appian Employee
    in reply to Chris

Our planned feature for 22.3 that Stefan mentioned above is basically our approach to meeting this use case. Our intention is to add capabilities to the Write Records smart service to continue to make writing to the database easier for a variety of scenarios, and that's why we added the pauseOnError option to that smart service.

If you haven't seen how it works yet, I'd recommend looking at the recent product announcement webinar or stay tuned for the 22.3 release in a couple of weeks!

Children
No Data