Can a Process model be deleted safetely, if some instances are still running ?

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

A process model had to be deployed from Preprod to Prod, but because of a Deployer error, the Deployer failed.

To unblock the situation, the process in Prod has been deleted first in Prod before to be re-deployed with success. 

The Process Model works fine in Prod, but what about the active instances ?

Question : Once such a process is re-deployed is it a problem for all the active instances still waiting?

Because this Process model is a "long life" process, can this one be deleted safetely (and then replaced by the new version)?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents

I would have an other question :

We have a Report Process that is linked to the deleted process in Prod.

When I open this Report Process, I see many task lines, but I can see that the context has disappeared from the Report (it says "no context" but I should see the deleted process).

If I edit it to re-link the process and apply, all the previous lines are missing.

I'm afraid, I suppose it is normal to lose all the lines because linked to the previous deleted process ?

In these case, can all the lines be copied (or moved) from the previous deleted process, to the new deployed process ? 

• Have you re-deployed the new version of the process yet?

If you delete a model and re-deploy to production later, while the UUID stays the same, the process model ID will change - I haven't tested how this scenario would affect process reports however (since we do not use them).

Any reason you could not simply remove access to it but leave the process in place, and open access to initiate once the new version is/was deployed?  (In which case you could re-deploy now, remove submit access, to see if this resolves the reporting issue).

in reply to Chris

Unfortunately, yes the process already has been deleted then redeployed.

The actual process report (new unlinked to any context) displays all the tasks that are older to the date of the re-deployed process.

How may I reaffect the context and retrieves all the tasks ?
    or is it possible to to it manually ? to copy the lines ?

• I don't believe you will find any way to "copy the lines" unfortunately, this is driven by which process model the process instances are related to and there is no way to change that association.

It sounds like the report is holding the context of the older process but not showing that process as selected for the context, due to being deleted..?  I would be curious if you added the context of the new process (re-selected), if it will combine (since you can select multiple), or overwrite with only the new instances only - you should be able to test this in /design without saving (unless it works of course).

Otherwise one thought is to create a second/new process report, put them in the same area, users will be confused for a while until you can decommission the old one, but this will return visibility to all. 

We do have a method to recover deleted process models in some scenarios, but I don't believe this brings back the pm!id (only keeps the UUID connection), which appears to be your issue with the reports.

To add for anyone thinking of the same in the future - while the other posters are correct that deleting a process model will have no affect on the process instances that have already started based on it, the thought of deleting a process model to temporarily remove access to it would not be my recommendation.  First, simply remove access.  If for some reason that is not possible, heck, just remove all of the nodes in the process model except start/end - you will still have everything in version history which you can quickly reactivate from there.

in reply to Chris

Thanks a lot for your help, but I'm very embarrassed

>>  I would be curious if you added the context of the new process (re-selected),

I added it, and it works (I see the previous and newer lines). But what would be the behavior if the User clicks on an older line ? (as the deleted process does not exist anymore)

Does the best solution could not be (one of the listed) :

- to ask the Restore of the entire application (2 days ago) and then to redeploy all ?

- to get back the the previous version of the Process from the support, and then import it in the application to get back the previous guid of tis process ? (but the response seems to be NO regarding your previous message Disappointed )
    (we just loose the recent data tasks, but keep the previous data)

• If both process models' instances, new and old, are showing in your report now - you might have the issue resolved completely! 

Try clicking on one of each line in the report yourself, I believe you will be brought to the correct areas for each process or task (unsure if this is a task report or process report)?  This is since the lines are referencing the active process instance, not the older model it was based on.

I don't believe you have to worry about any restores here.  Also if the "new version" was deployed from Dev/Test in the same process model as the deleted production version, it is retaining the UUID, just a different process model ID, which would only affect a few thing such as these process reports, Process Model type constants, etc.

And don't be embarrassed!  I could list out a number of things I've done in the past that would make you feel much better :)

in reply to Chris

Great!

> And don't be embarrassed!  I could list out a number of things I've done in the past that would make you feel much better :)

Thank you Relaxed

Reply Children
No Data