22.4 Feedback - major overhaul to process modeler has removed Grid Lines by default

Certified Lead Developer

First let me start this off with some good news.  The left-hand object bar has been further tweaked and reorganized.  I previously commented that "process model / interface search results" being at the top of the list (as they are in 22.3 and lower) makes it harder to access the Smart Service Nodes we're after when that's what we're actually searching for.  It looks like they listened! Yay!

But for the main point of this post: i've noticed that Grid Lines are now turned off by default and there is no way to undo this except by turning them on manually every single time you load a process model.

At first I was hoping this was a bug in my Community Edition instance, or some incomplete feature or temporary break.  But other users are now posting screenshots from 22.4 versions around community and it seems like it may have been "intentional".

Hey Appian folks?  This may have been intended to "look cleaner" or something - but to me, psychologically, it makes me think something hasn't loaded correctly.  As far as I know, with as long as I've been looking at process models with grid lines, I anticipate this effect will last a long time.

I see they're still there.  They're redesigned but I guess I don't have any major qualms with the newer, simplified grid lines (i'll paste an example below for everyone's reference).  Can we just have them turned back on by default?  Could it at least be given as an override in designer user-level preferences or something?

I know the product backlog is huge, lots of higher-priority stuff, etc.  But I think this is something that wasn't necessary to change.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Wanted to follow-up one more time on this post, and to let you know that the feedback here has been shared with product managers at Appian. We've thought about many of the enhancements in this thread and have received similar feedback before. In regards to some of the subjective UX feedback, I'll continue to monitor that over the next few weeks before reverting any changes.

We are doing a lot of exciting work this upcoming year and I'll be sure to reach out for some feedback in an upcoming quarter. Happy holidays!

• Wanted to follow-up one more time on this post, and to let you know that the feedback here has been shared with product managers at Appian. We've thought about many of the enhancements in this thread and have received similar feedback before. In regards to some of the subjective UX feedback, I'll continue to monitor that over the next few weeks before reverting any changes.

We are doing a lot of exciting work this upcoming year and I'll be sure to reach out for some feedback in an upcoming quarter. Happy holidays!

Children
No Data