Export Data Store Entity to Excel - Populate Custom Cell Values with result from the query

Hello,

Does anyone know how can I populate the node input "Custom Cell Values" on the smart service "Export Data Store Entity to Excel" with the result from the query that is performed on this node ?

So basically, a query is performed on the DSE, then on the same node is it possible to map an existing template on specific cells with the result of that query? 

The same can be accomplished with plug-in "Export CDT To Excel", considering an existing template and populating specific cells with CDT values. So, since this one is deprecated and Appian advices to not use this plug-in, how can we accomplish the same with this smart service ?

Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • AFAIK, there isn't any way you can get the output of the executed query in any of the node inputs. You need to query the entity separately and use the required result in custom cell values 

• Hi Sanchit, thank you for your help.

Let me show an example and maybe from there it's easier to understand. Let's consider that I have the following excel template with the following cell labels already filled in:

What is the best way of populating these fields with data that is coming from a CDT using "Export Data Store Entity to Excel" considering an existing template and generating a new file?

I have defined my smart service node as the following:

Data Store Entity: My Entity

Save IN Folder: My Folder 

Custom Cell Positions: = {  "C4",  "C5",  "C6",  "C8",  "C9",  "C10",  "C11",  "C12"}

Custom Cell Values: {value1, value2, value3}

Document to Update: Existing Template

The result of this was: 

PROBLEMS:

1) I'm not able to configure this node without "Starting Cell" value, what is creating the second set of data. Is it possible to populate just the defined "Custom Cell Values" without duplicating the data on the excel?

2) A new file is not being generated since I selected the node input "Document to Update". If I don't consider this node input how can I use an existing template and generate a new file based on that template ?

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to fredericon

Look, the whole purpose of this smart service is to take an export of your dataset and the inputs Custom Cell Row and Values are for any additional data that you want to add to your document. During execution, first these values are inserted into your document and then after it exports data from entity and in this case you need to specify the starting cell below which the entity data will be written. So what I mean to say is, it will always write data from entity whether it is empty or not, if you don't pass any filter it will take export of whole data.

Coming to your next question, if you provide an existing document to update it will create new version of the same document rather than creating a new one and this feature is only provided just so we can take export of multiple tables in same process by using multiple nodes of this service and use previous generated document.

Now towards the solution, It appears to me that you are trying to generate the document first (since it shows no data available in excel) and then writing it into the DSE (or may be not writing), what I'd recommend is to First write data in DSE and then filter that data in Export DSE to Excel smart service and use it to create a new excel document instead of using any existing document to update and later on iff you don't want that data to be stored in table you can use delete from DSE smart service to remove that data back again. This way you will get the required data in new document each time without having any impact on the database too.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to fredericon

Look, the whole purpose of this smart service is to take an export of your dataset and the inputs Custom Cell Row and Values are for any additional data that you want to add to your document. During execution, first these values are inserted into your document and then after it exports data from entity and in this case you need to specify the starting cell below which the entity data will be written. So what I mean to say is, it will always write data from entity whether it is empty or not, if you don't pass any filter it will take export of whole data.

Coming to your next question, if you provide an existing document to update it will create new version of the same document rather than creating a new one and this feature is only provided just so we can take export of multiple tables in same process by using multiple nodes of this service and use previous generated document.

Now towards the solution, It appears to me that you are trying to generate the document first (since it shows no data available in excel) and then writing it into the DSE (or may be not writing), what I'd recommend is to First write data in DSE and then filter that data in Export DSE to Excel smart service and use it to create a new excel document instead of using any existing document to update and later on iff you don't want that data to be stored in table you can use delete from DSE smart service to remove that data back again. This way you will get the required data in new document each time without having any impact on the database too.

Children
No Data