Solution for Initiating Processes or Writing Data on Task Acceptance

Certified Lead Developer

For many years, Appian designers have been unable to easily log data upon the acceptance of a task (when a user clicks "Accept"). Whenever the business asks for this, whether for task metrics, or updating statuses, or any other reason, we usually tell them it's impossible or come up with mediocre workaround using a splash screen with a custom task assignment / acceptance. If only Appian could expose a saveInto for the Accept button... 

I recently finished implementing an approach that allows designers to start any process or write any record upon acceptance. If anyone's interested or has a similar use case, please comment below and perhaps try to guess the solution. Hint: use an integration call in a local variable to start a process model or a!writeRecords. The tricky part is determining the moment a task is accepted. This is different for tasks assigned to groups vs tasks assigned to individual users.

If there's interest, I'll post the solution after I return from vacation

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer

Sounds interesting! Based on your hint, I came up with a possible solution. Is this on the right track?

For individual user tasks, monitor the "Assignee" field for changes to detect acceptance.
    For group tasks, monitor the "Accepted By" field to detect when a user accepts the task.
    Use an integration call in a local variable to trigger actions (start process, write record) upon task acceptance.

Certified Senior Developer

Sounds interesting! Based on your hint, I came up with a possible solution. Is this on the right track?

For individual user tasks, monitor the "Assignee" field for changes to detect acceptance.
    For group tasks, monitor the "Accepted By" field to detect when a user accepts the task.
    Use an integration call in a local variable to trigger actions (start process, write record) upon task acceptance.

Children
No Data