Main task followed by related tasks using Process model

Hi team,

I have a use case where I need to create tasks for users, but there is a parent-child relationship between tasks. In one interface, I will collect the details of the task, and users can add additional tasks to an already existing task. So, a parent task will have N number of child/related tasks, which will be stored in a table called "task details". Daily, once I trigger a process, it will query the task details and create the tasks. The thing I need is for the parent task to be created first, followed by related tasks in the order the user gave them. It would be simple to achieve this using a subprocess and looping the task creation by sorting the data using datetime. However, I wish to use the startprocess MNI, as it won't affect performance and to avoid instances paused by errors (subprocess will stop in this case). I don't know how to order the data or loop the data to achieve this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer

You're right, using a subprocess can introduce performance overhead and potential pausing issues.
    Try this

Task Details Table:
    task_id (Primary Key)
    parent_task_id (Foreign Key referencing the parent task, can be null for the parent task itself)
    order (Numeric field to specify the order of child tasks, 1 for the first child, 2 for the second, etc.)

Store tasks in a table with parent_task_id and an order field.
    Use start process MNI daily to: Query tasks, sort by parent_task_id then order.
    Loop through sorted data: If parent_task_id is null, create parent task.
    Else, create child task with the parent ID.

Certified Senior Developer

You're right, using a subprocess can introduce performance overhead and potential pausing issues.
    Try this

Task Details Table:
    task_id (Primary Key)
    parent_task_id (Foreign Key referencing the parent task, can be null for the parent task itself)
    order (Numeric field to specify the order of child tasks, 1 for the first child, 2 for the second, etc.)

Store tasks in a table with parent_task_id and an order field.
    Use start process MNI daily to: Query tasks, sort by parent_task_id then order.
    Loop through sorted data: If parent_task_id is null, create parent task.
    Else, create child task with the parent ID.

Children
No Data