Hi, I am trying to sort a text array and tried using the following recipe.

Hi,
I am trying to sort a text array and tried using the following recipe. forum.appian.com/.../Function_Recipes.html
Since this is just an array, not a record type, I am not sure what to put in as the field name to sort on in the data input tab. When I try to put in "field" as the value, I get an error evaluating expression. Any ideas? Thanks.
An error occurred while evaluating expression: departmentNameList:todatasubset(#"_a-0000d27e-8161-8000-8fc8-0a000064044c_72737",ac!pagingInfoNodeInput2).data (Expression evaluation error at function 'todatasubset': Error evaluating function 'todatasubset' : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The given data type is not a record type...

OriginalPostID-124071

OriginalPostID-124071

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    Strange, it works fine when I run it. However, I am using 7.5, so that might be the difference. Looking at the documentation for todatasubset at forum.appian.com/.../Scripting_Functions
    it says that the first parameter (arrayToPage) can use dictionary syntax, which is what is happening in my example above. However it does say towards the end "Sorting is only supported for complex data types and is not supported for a dictionary array." which is probably what is causing the error you are seeing. If that's the case, I'm not sure how it works for me, but there is another workaround you could try.

Instead, create a CDT for this purpose specifically, which only has one field (a text field to store the text value you want to sort). and instead of returning {field: ri!text} in rule!toCDT to create a dictionary, return type!yourCDT(field: ri!text) to create an instance of this new CDT. Alternatively, if you dont want to create a new CDT, you could use an existing CDT that has a text field. For example, if you had an Employee CDT with a field for "name", you could define rule!toCDT as :
    type!Employee(name: ri!text), and change the rest of the code to the following:
    load(
    local!textArray: {
    "b",
    "a"
    },
    local!tempCDT: apply(
    rule!toCDT,
    local!textArray
    ),
    local!pagingInfo: a!pagingInfo(
    startIndex: 1,
    batchSize: -1,
    sort: a!sortInfo(
    field: "name",
    ascending: true
    )
    ),
    todatasubset(
    local!tempCDT,
    local!pagingInfo
    ).data.name
    )

Hope this helps!
    Certified Lead Developer
    Strange, it works fine when I run it. However, I am using 7.5, so that might be the difference. Looking at the documentation for todatasubset at forum.appian.com/.../Scripting_Functions
    it says that the first parameter (arrayToPage) can use dictionary syntax, which is what is happening in my example above. However it does say towards the end "Sorting is only supported for complex data types and is not supported for a dictionary array." which is probably what is causing the error you are seeing. If that's the case, I'm not sure how it works for me, but there is another workaround you could try.

Instead, create a CDT for this purpose specifically, which only has one field (a text field to store the text value you want to sort). and instead of returning {field: ri!text} in rule!toCDT to create a dictionary, return type!yourCDT(field: ri!text) to create an instance of this new CDT. Alternatively, if you dont want to create a new CDT, you could use an existing CDT that has a text field. For example, if you had an Employee CDT with a field for "name", you could define rule!toCDT as :
    type!Employee(name: ri!text), and change the rest of the code to the following:
    load(
    local!textArray: {
    "b",
    "a"
    },
    local!tempCDT: apply(
    rule!toCDT,
    local!textArray
    ),
    local!pagingInfo: a!pagingInfo(
    startIndex: 1,
    batchSize: -1,