Hello to all, This is a question I was meaning to ask for some time n

Hello to all,

This is a question I was meaning to ask for some time now. When monitoring a running instance of a process you have the option in Appian to modify the process variables values of the instance.

However, if the process variable you are examining is a CDT, you do not have the option in the monitor UI to modify the process variable value. At least this is the case in version 7.8 that we are using.

What is the way to solve problems that arise when you need to modify the value of the CDT?

Regards,

Nikos

OriginalPostID-168743

OriginalPostID-168743

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I have seen some people using the "Edit Process" instead to add a Script Task to update the value of the CDT.

Another option is to use "Get and Set External Process Variables" which I think supports CDTs. This way the update is done via another process forum.appian.com/.../summary
  • Thanks Eduardo for the prompt reply.

OK so in both cases some development effort is needed to do this.

It would be nice if this functionality was in the product I guess.
  • I agree that it would be nice to have that functionality in place. We haven't used the component Eduardo references (I'll have to read up on it). We do however frequently have to use his first suggestion. We edit the individually running/broken process and add a new script task. We set individual values in the CDT in the data output tab and then map the node to run the 'broken' node next. Save the edited version, close it, open the process and cancel the invalid node and restart the process on the new script node.

There are a few issues with this solution, but it works for most cases: nodes with MNI, crashes with XORs (because adding the new node that calls the XOR causes multiple input paths to the XOR, use a dummy node first before XORs if possible or have the new node call the one before the XOR), funky logic that you may not want to run twice, etc. (i.e. if the node that broke already altered data that shouldn't be altered twice). This helps us solve the majority of our invalid CDT values in prod when they occur.