Automated activity context best practice

I have a best practice question about which context automated activities should be run. Is there guidance on when it is appropriate to run an activity as whoever started the process vs whoever designed the process model? Should one be the default selection unless certain special criteria exist?

I've read the following documentation, but no best practice suggestions were mentioned:
forum.appian.com/.../Assignment_Tab.html

OriginalPostID-234781

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer
    I figured out why I received an 'InvalidUserException' error at the 'Send Email' node. The privacy setting for one of the groups in the recipient list was set to high. I did some more research and read that if you set the assignment for this node to 'Run as whoever started the process', the initiator has to be able to see the members in the group. Because the privacy setting on one of the groups was 'high', the initiator couldn't see those members and therefore, did not have the authority to send an email. Note that if the setting IS changed to 'Run as whoever designed the process', the recipient group needs to be publicly visible or the designer has to be a member. As for setting the assignment to 'Run as whoever started the process' for a 'Write to data entity' node, the initiator must be in a group that has viewer rights to the Data Store.
    Certified Senior Developer
    I figured out why I received an 'InvalidUserException' error at the 'Send Email' node. The privacy setting for one of the groups in the recipient list was set to high. I did some more research and read that if you set the assignment for this node to 'Run as whoever started the process', the initiator has to be able to see the members in the group. Because the privacy setting on one of the groups was 'high', the initiator couldn't see those members and therefore, did not have the authority to send an email. Note that if the setting IS changed to 'Run as whoever designed the process', the recipient group needs to be publicly visible or the designer has to be a member. As for setting the assignment to 'Run as whoever started the process' for a 'Write to data entity' node, the initiator must be in a group that has viewer rights to the Data Store.
Children
No Data