16.3 - Sending Message Events to Process Models

A Score Level 1
The release notes for Appian 16.3 contains the following (forum.appian.com/.../Appian_Release_Notes.html

Sending Message Events to Process Models
We've deprecated the ability to send messages to process models from the Setup tab in the Send Message Event smart service. Sending message events to process models this way has negative performance impacts.

Use the Start Process Smart Service instead.

The last part implies this is only for start message events, but the body implies it applies to all message events, including intermediate message events. Would someone be able to clarify exactly what is being deprecated? Removing the ability to message process models (and therefore in-flight instances) altogether would be a serious loss of functionality and would place Appian behind its competitors as fa...

OriginalPostID-238470

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • This has me nervous as well since we use process to process messaging fairly heavily. We have many many cases where we target instances, but also a very important administrative use case where we message any process waiting by sending directly to the models. Based on my understanding, this is going to be removed?? Our primary use case is around the legacy Query DB node which we have implemented in over 30 processes that connect to 11 different external DBs. When a DB goes down that we don't control (often), we allow the Query DB nodes to continue on error and wait at a receive message event. Once the outage has ended, we run one admin process which sends messages to the models and the node is retried, thus continuing all processes with one click. I don't know if any of you have had the privilege to manually restart 400 process instances one by one, directly ending your productivity for the remainder of the day, but in the 5 years I've been using this I haven't noticed any performance issues that outweigh the massive amount of manual effort and time needed to administrate. If this is functionality is for sure being removed I will be very disappointed, but I'm still not clear on exactly what the plan is here..
  • This has me nervous as well since we use process to process messaging fairly heavily. We have many many cases where we target instances, but also a very important administrative use case where we message any process waiting by sending directly to the models. Based on my understanding, this is going to be removed?? Our primary use case is around the legacy Query DB node which we have implemented in over 30 processes that connect to 11 different external DBs. When a DB goes down that we don't control (often), we allow the Query DB nodes to continue on error and wait at a receive message event. Once the outage has ended, we run one admin process which sends messages to the models and the node is retried, thus continuing all processes with one click. I don't know if any of you have had the privilege to manually restart 400 process instances one by one, directly ending your productivity for the remainder of the day, but in the 5 years I've been using this I haven't noticed any performance issues that outweigh the massive amount of manual effort and time needed to administrate. If this is functionality is for sure being removed I will be very disappointed, but I'm still not clear on exactly what the plan is here..
Children
No Data