Execute Process or Update DB from within Tempo Report

Hello all,

I have a business case where a single Department is in charge of handling Legal Cases for a Bank and acts as a liaison between the Bank's branches and its partner lawyer firms. In this business case, this Department is responsible of performing a few Tasks but the most important is forwarding the requests to a selected lawyer firm. As they receive these requests, the would like to have a list of pending requests, in the form of a report, and have the ability to forward a batch of requests to a selected lawyer firm instead of going through each pending request and performing that action from within each pending request.

Given all the new functionality that Appian provides, i was thinking of building a Tempo Report that provides that list of pending requests to the users and giving them the ability to select (using a grid field) a number of requests execute an expression (either some form of DB update or an asynchronous Process Initiation) by pressing a button, since Tempo Reports are basically SAIL interfaces.

I believe this provides an improved user experience as it minimizes the steps the user has to go through in order to perform some action. However, i have not seen such use of expressions in Tempo Reports and i would like to know if such use is not recommended, and if not, for what reason.

Thanks

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children

• I am looking to start a process and/or write to DB. There are no active User Tasks at that point in the workflow that i'm describing. Or, at least that's what i'm going for. To not have a list of active tasks for a group of users where i could possibly design that part of the workflow differently, as i described above with the use of Tempo Reports.

I am aware of the smart services (as functions) that you have mentioned, and because of that I started thinking of that design approach, of updating DB or initiating processes from within a Tempo Report. I know that from a technical point of view it can be done, I was wandering if it's an approach that is not recommended by Appian, for whatever reason.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to thanosm
    The only thing you want to consider is to use write instead of start process when all you need to do is write. You also should make sure if you are starting a process (like any action or related action), is to make those processes light (as the bigger the footprint, the more memory consumed). But this is absolutely an acceptable approach.
  • Thank you very much for your input. I will go ahead and implement such an approach.