Export process report to CSV smart service

Certified Associate Developer

Hi All,

We have a process report consisting of more than 1 lakh records. We are trying to create a process model that can fetch the data from report and add it to CSV file. For that, We have used "Export Process report to CSV" smart service. Now, This smart service only fetch 10000 records at a time, Due to which we are not able to fetch whole report data at once. Can someone please guide us about the best way to achieve it? Thanks in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Can you explain a bit more why you need to export all of this data? The reason I ask is that I'm guessing that there is a use case behind this question (for example, maybe you want use process data in a third-party BI tool?). Depending on what you need to do with this data, there are other options you could consider that may be better than exporting using the process report to CSV smart service.

For instance, you could:

• Create reports in Appian to display the data on the process report
    • Use a Web API to directly expose the data from process reports through a REST API
    • Use batching (like suggested by Stewart)

The other thing I would suggest considering is to use a database table as a system of record rather than your process instances. Databases are much easier to query from and can handle a much larger volume of data than process instances. (I realize this may requiring refactoring of your application to achieve this, but it would make it much easier to access this data in the future). 

• Can you explain a bit more why you need to export all of this data? The reason I ask is that I'm guessing that there is a use case behind this question (for example, maybe you want use process data in a third-party BI tool?). Depending on what you need to do with this data, there are other options you could consider that may be better than exporting using the process report to CSV smart service.

For instance, you could:

• Create reports in Appian to display the data on the process report
    • Use a Web API to directly expose the data from process reports through a REST API
    • Use batching (like suggested by Stewart)

The other thing I would suggest considering is to use a database table as a system of record rather than your process instances. Databases are much easier to query from and can handle a much larger volume of data than process instances. (I realize this may requiring refactoring of your application to achieve this, but it would make it much easier to access this data in the future). 

Children
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. As you said, This is the actual implementation we are currently doing with our workflow. Initially everything was residing inside appian processes and now we have changed the implementation wherein we are now storing everything in database table. Now, As a part of release we have to take into consideration the old data that we have currently inside appian and we need to move them to database. Hence, For moving the data from Appian to DB we are doing this stuff

• Ah okay, that makes sense! I'm assuming you would only have to do this once, right? Since you're changing your future processes to directly write to the database, it would be a single migration and then you would be all set.

I think your best bet is the batching that Stewart mentioned - find the shortest time period that has less than 10k rows (e.g. a month / week / day) and then run the process a few times for each time period to get all the data.

Then you can always merge the files created to have one big data export.

in reply to Peter Lewis

Yes you are right, Its an one time task. Thanks for the Suggestion Peter, I will go with this batch processing. This seems to be the best solution so far. Appreciate your help!