How to specify a new line in an expression rule for a Word report?

Certified Associate Developer

I am trying to print the results of an editable grid in a word report. The grid has three columns and a variable number of rows, and all of the data collected by the grid is stored in a single rule input as a text array. I'd like to be able to put each line of the grid on a new line in Word however I can't find anything in Appian that would allow me to do that (besides making a new rule input for each line which would be a lot of rule inputs). When I run the process the Word document shows:

ex,ex,ex; ex,ex,ex

Does anyone have any ideas how I could accomplish this?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer

In addition to what Mike said, what you want to do is insert Open Office XML syntax. If you want to find out how to create something in word via XML:

1. Create a new Word document and create the syntax in question, e.g. bolded text, highlighted, bullets, etc.
    2. Save the Word document AS an XML document.
    3. View the XML document (such as in Notepad++) and copy portions of the XML into an Appian rule.

For example my bolded Appian expression is:
    "<w:pPr>
    <w:rPr>
    <w:b/>
    <w:bCs/>
    </w:rPr>
    </w:pPr>
    <w:r>
    <w:t>"&ri!textToBold&"</w:t>
    </w:r>"

Certified Senior Developer

In addition to what Mike said, what you want to do is insert Open Office XML syntax. If you want to find out how to create something in word via XML:

1. Create a new Word document and create the syntax in question, e.g. bolded text, highlighted, bullets, etc.
    2. Save the Word document AS an XML document.
    3. View the XML document (such as in Notepad++) and copy portions of the XML into an Appian rule.

For example my bolded Appian expression is:
    "<w:pPr>
    </w:pPr>
    <w:r>