165217 - no subject - Hi All,\n\nI'm having a bit of trouble w

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my report. I was wondering if there is any way to delay a document link?

The issue that I'm having is that I am using the excel smart service. When I click on export to excel the link shows pretty much instantaneous before the actual document is generated. It takes roughly 5-10 seconds to complete the process. Is there any functions I could use?

Thanks

Paul

OriginalPostID-165217

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @paulr I would like to suggest to check the documentation at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/7.10/Download_DataSubset_Plugin.html.

As your environment is on cloud, ask the cloud support team to deploy the plugin at https://forum.appian.com/suite/tempo/records/type/components/item/i8BWsQdLlzKy55h8z8zJ0sPqpDWFrba_bhdr2yqHrPfFkJMAGtgEIA_4tbs2KfJ8Q/view/summary if it doesn't exist already. getdatasubsetdownloadlinkfromprocess() function in this plugin will help you get the work done without you including the functionality to export the contents to excel explicitly by using a smart service.

Still I believe that using this plugin might not significantly reduce the time, but yes, you might observe some variation in the execution time and confirm this after testing.
  • Paul, you could put a timer node or script node that has an exception timer on it before the form is generated. The process would ask the user whatever you normally would do in 1 form, submit form, split the process execution into 2 paths, 1 path goes to the excel smart service, the 2nd path leads to a timer that pauses for 5-10 seconds. Both paths lead into a complex gateway that requires both paths to reach it before continuing. Then after the document is created and the pause occurs it leads out to the next form where the link is available.

We had a similar issue a year+ ago with getting a dynamically created TaskID and the contractor's solution was to run a task report to get the new id and have it loop until the ID was available. Since the ID wasn't available via the report for a second or two sometimes the loop didn't have to run, other times it did 1-2 times. Not a very elegant solution I know, but it seems to work.