Decrypt password passed to robot for login

Hi to all, I'm coding a robot that need to login on an Appian application. I pass to this robot some credentials as instructions (parameters), so username and password. The password is an a!encryptedTextField() result. How can I decrypt this password in the code of the robot to pass the login step?

Should I pass the passwords in clear text to the robot instead, as a string format?

Thank you

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

When Appian creates a user account, it sends an email to the new account's email with a temporary password.

Perhaps you could engineer the robot to read the email sent by Appian and go through the process of updating its own credentials with a known value.  Or you could manually control the robot's account for that stage of the process, creating the account using your own email, signing in as your robot's account, altering the password to a value known only to yourself, and hard-coding that value as the password for that robot.  If you have admin rights to your test environment, you can even set the temporary password for each robot user to the same thing every time, making it even easier for your robots to automate the "update my password the first time I login" process.

We have many test users on many different test environments that have known password values, so everyone on our project knows how to test as the different users.  Setup for robots to use those same test users shouldn't have any material difference.

Certified Associate Developer

Hello Antonio,

When using credentials in a robot, we recommend to use the Appian RPA Credential's Vault instead of the instructions. If you want to now how to use them you can read here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/20.2/rpa/console/robotic-processes.html#credentials to see how to create a Credential and here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/20.2/rpa/modules/client-module.html#ijidokaserver to learn how to retrieve the credential from within the robot.

Also, don't forget to match a permission of the credential with one of the robot's permissions so the robo has access to it.

Thanks