RPA Process Randomly Very Slow

Certified Lead Developer

Hi Appian Community, I have a RPA process I run on a Windows 2019 Virtual Machine via VirtualBox, on my MacBook Pro. I've run this process successfully 20+ times which takes around 1 min 20 seconds from start to finish Today, however it took 1 hr and 33 minutes to run, which is odd because I hadn't changed the process or inputs at all. I decided to let it run till it hit an error, and was surprised that it actually finished. Does any one have any input as why RPA processes would be this slow? Or what factors I should look at to make a RPA process faster? 

The process itself just goes on a website and tries to grab some values off the site. Below is the execution logs where I noticed the bot just stopped running after it opened the browser and ran through another gateway. And you can see on the next line that it took 44 minutes for the bot to figure out that the "element was not present." It was a very simple gateway that just determined if a browser element existed with an "xpath"

[STAT] 2021-06-22 19:30:33 56s (0h) - <ACTION_END> - End action 'browser->open-browser' - 'Open browser' (transition through '' to 'appian->eval-expression') // dur: 56s - avg: - etc:
[STAT] 2021-06-22 19:30:33 56s (0h) - <ACTION_START> - Start action 'appian->eval-expression' - 'Terms And Conditions Found' // dur: - - avg: - etc:
[STAT] 2021-06-22 19:30:33 56s (0h) - <ACTION_END> - End action 'appian->eval-expression' - 'Terms And Conditions Found' (transition through 'false' to 'browser->is-element-present') // dur: - - avg: - etc:
[STAT] 2021-06-22 19:30:33 56s (0h) - <ACTION_START> - Start action 'browser->is-element-present' - 'No Results Found' // dur: - - avg: - etc:
[STAT] 2021-06-22 20:14:29 44m 52s (0h) - <ACTION_END> - End action 'browser->is-element-present' - 'No Results Found' (transition through 'false' to 'section-1623085129886') // dur: 43m 55s - avg: - etc:
[STAT] 2021-06-22 20:14:29 44m 52s (0h) - <ACTION_START> - Start action 'server->info' - 'Start' // dur: - - avg: - etc:
[INFO] 2021-06-22 20:14:29 44m 52s (0h) - Starting to validate results

I re-ran the process again and the bot quickly ran through this part of the process, but got snagged on another gateway checking if a different browser element is present. Is the "is element present" browser action just slow, or is there a particular way to configure this to make it faster? This is how I configured mine.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi,

Based on my experience this action never waits like some other actions of browser module. It just go to the next branch irrespective of element is found or not.

The only possibility I can think of is issue with the agent running, may be agent was not responding at that time. But better to check with Appian Support if using license product and sent them agents logs with execution console logs.

Regards,

Mukesh