Automatically start rpa agent upon system restart

Certified Associate Developer

"Hello everyone!

I'm currently working with an RPA agent and I'm wondering if anyone has experience or insights on how to automatically start an RPA agent when the system restarts. I'd like to ensure that the agent is up and running without any manual intervention after a system reboot.

NOTE: We have a dedicated server for production where we store all our agents and files logs. However, we are experiencing scheduled server downtime every day. Fortunately, the server eventually comes back online, and we expect our bots to automatically go online without requiring any manual intervention. This ensures the continuous operation of our bots once the server is back up.

Here are a couple of approaches I follow:

1. I have created a task scheduler using a bat.file, which allows me to automate the startup of the RPA agent at a specific time or during system boot.--- 
 but unfortunately, the scheduled task isn't working as intended. It fails to activate the RPA agent when it's supposed to, even during system restarts.

2. I also copied and pasted the necessary RPA files into the system's startup folder. This ensures that the RPA agent is automatically launched when the system starts up.---- I tried using the startup folder to trigger the RPA agent, but unfortunately, it didn't work as expected. The agent icon appears in grey color sometimes there is no icon appears indicating that it is not functioning properly.

3.I came across a useful feature called "Auto Sign-In" in Appian RPA. With the help of this feature, we can automatically restart a bot without the need to log into AWS. It provides a convenient way to ensure the seamless execution of the RPA bot.----- but this didn't work as expected.

These approaches have been testing automating the startup process of the RPA agent.

Any suggestions, tips, or best practices would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!"

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    in reply to Tien Bui

Thanks Tien Bui

I will try the approach you suggested and i will update you.

in reply to shashankr0001

Hi Tien Bui,

I have tried the approach but it didn't activate the agent due to that the rpa process didn't move further it was waiting for the resource.

1. I have make sure not to manually click  the sign-in button on this page
    2. Then i have done a restart of the server 
    3. Tried to run a rpa process but its was stuck here 

4. After waiting too long this happens 

5. The status of the agent is also change from online to Disabled 

6. The auto sign in is logging successful 

Messages in execution log :[INFO] 2023-07-07 05:50:21 - - Successfully signed into the user session on HR-Billing-Resource.

7. but its not activating the agent 

Messages in execution log : [INFO] 2023-07-07 05:50:21 - - Waiting for the RPA agent to be up and running

Please let me know how to proceed further or missing anything i will work on that.