Free versions of Java to run RPA on

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

I am attempting to start using RPA within Appian and the documentation says the host machine has to have Java installed. My organisation won't allow me to download the full version of Java and have asked if I can use a free version of Java e.g. adaptivejdk or Amazon corretto. Is this possible?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents

Using a free version of Java like AdoptOpenJDK (formerly known as adaptivejdk) or Amazon Corretto should be feasible for your RPA implementation within Appian. These open-source distributions of Java are designed to be compatible with the standard Oracle Java SE and are often preferred in scenarios where the full version of Java is not an option due to licensing restrictions or other considerations.

You can typically install AdoptOpenJDK or Amazon Corretto on your host machine, and they should work well with Appian's RPA capabilities. However, it's essential to ensure that the specific version you choose is compatible with the version of Appian you're using, as there might be some version dependencies. So, I recommend checking the compatibility details in Appian's documentation or reaching out to their support for more precise information.

Using a free Java distribution like AdoptOpenJDK or Amazon Corretto is a common practice in scenarios where full Java SE is not an option, so your organization's request should be reasonable.

Using a free version of Java like AdoptOpenJDK (formerly known as adaptivejdk) or Amazon Corretto should be feasible for your RPA implementation within Appian. These open-source distributions of Java are designed to be compatible with the standard Oracle Java SE and are often preferred in scenarios where the full version of Java is not an option due to licensing restrictions or other considerations.

You can typically install AdoptOpenJDK or Amazon Corretto on your host machine, and they should work well with Appian's RPA capabilities. However, it's essential to ensure that the specific version you choose is compatible with the version of Appian you're using, as there might be some version dependencies. So, I recommend checking the compatibility details in Appian's documentation or reaching out to their support for more precise information.

Using a free Java distribution like AdoptOpenJDK or Amazon Corretto is a common practice in scenarios where full Java SE is not an option, so your organization's request should be reasonable.

Children