RPA to download excel document from external site and return it to Appian

Certified Senior Developer

Hi All,

I am new to RPA in Appian, my requirement is to download the excel report from external site and pass it to appian process model, then in appian we can read the excel data and write it to our Database.

We have a URL to external site, for example, URL - https://abc.com and inside this site lets assume we have below document links to download

• Document(A)
  • Document(B)
  • Document(C)

from the above documents, RPA should download only Document(B) and should pass it to Appian Process Model.

Here I am not getting any reference for creating a Robotic task for this action, so could you please help me with the details/steps how to proceed further.

Thanks in Advance!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi  ,

To go to the website, you should use a Open Browser Low-Code action (probably you will need to have set up the "Allow Appian to provide selenium web drivers" option in Appian RPA > Settings > Configuration > Security Policies.

You can use the Task Recorder to click on the file you need to download. The Task Recorder will get the selector for you.

You can use the Excel Model in Appian RPA to Open the file (using the Open or Create workbook Low Code action), reading the content (e.g. Get value Action from the Excel Module in Appian RPA), and then store that info in a Variable. Once that is done, you can use that Variable in your Appian Processes.