Editable Rich Text

Certified Associate Developer

In earlier versions of Appian a rich text editor (much like the one used to submit this question) was available for use on forms but since the transition to SAIL this has been missing.  Is there any forecast as to when, if at all, this functionality will return to Appian?  After searching through community I have found requests for this dating back to Dec 2014 (https://forum.appian.com/suite/tempo/news/entry/e-130971) but as of today this functionality is still unavailable.

If this functionality is not coming back does anyone have any other work arounds?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi,

You can use webComponent field, and call Rich Text Editor Online service (you can find any trustable sites on internet easily), inside a webComponent
    or Create custom HTML/CSS code Rich Text Editor, call the custom code in webApi (body).

Thanks
  • The idea of using webComponent is good.
    But - there is a problem.

If we want the rich text which users enters back into Appian local variables/PVs, the webcontent component cannot help.
    I don't see any option to retrieve those values back. If the requirement is not to get this data into Appian local variables then this option is good.

Other suggestion of custom HTML/CSS is doable but I see too much efforts.
    Because you will have to then go embedded Appian route, then pass the data back to Appian once user enters the rich text.

It would really be helpful if Appian had a native SAIL component for this. As seen from the comments here - many are interested in having this SAIL component. We also will have to think how will the formatting of rich text be sent back to Appian.
    The entered text can be returned to Appian in html format (with simple tags like bold, italic, underline, headings etc supported).
  • The idea of using webComponent is good.
    But - there is a problem.

If we want the rich text which users enters back into Appian local variables/PVs, the webcontent component cannot help.
    I don't see any option to retrieve those values back. If the requirement is not to get this data into Appian local variables then this option is good.

Other suggestion of custom HTML/CSS is doable but I see too much efforts.
    Because you will have to then go embedded Appian route, then pass the data back to Appian once user enters the rich text.

It would really be helpful if Appian had a native SAIL component for this. As seen from the comments here - many are interested in having this SAIL component. We also will have to think how will the formatting of rich text be sent back to Appian.
    The entered text can be returned to Appian in html format (with simple tags like bold, italic, underline, headings etc supported).
Children
No Data