Limit the char size of an input text field based upon the datatype it's representing

I'm trying to find a better way to validate a text input field that limits it's character input size relative to the datatype linked to. There's no way of matching them (meaning this control is a view of the following DT field and syncs/validates according to it's type), asking a bit much perhaps!

But now we got lots of inputs that needs to be limited (when creating a text field by default it isn't, but when creating a varchar in the DB it is to 255 thus creating potential bugs if entering/saving into the DT more than 255 chars through that text field). 

I though about having a default expression that validates for such and is called upon the validation property of each text field. But having such validations that forces to go back to the server on so many fields is quite heavy for the user experience (each field typing in, pressing TAB, watching the "working" on top of the page and so on).

Isn't there a way to mask (and thus force an equivalent on the client side only)?

Or any other ideas? Must be missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • @Jacob Grafenstein (jacobg) Yeah that's what I was aiming for but hoping to avoid to updade each validation property of each text field :) and the "working spam" is actually not very impressive.

@Josh (joshl) good catch, will talk to the team and see how we deal between both options!

Both good answers just was hoping for more but thanks for feedback very appreciated.

• @Jacob Grafenstein (jacobg) Yeah that's what I was aiming for but hoping to avoid to updade each validation property of each text field :) and the "working spam" is actually not very impressive.

@Josh (joshl) good catch, will talk to the team and see how we deal between both options!

Both good answers just was hoping for more but thanks for feedback very appreciated.

Children
No Data