Can you set validation on text within a paragraph field?

I have a user that will be inputting the name of a business as a required value. Throughout the form the user will be able to answer free text response questions, but there needs to be consistency on the business name. Other than setting explicit instructions to maintain the naming structure of the company is there any way to either input the company name within the paragraph field or to add a validation to the paragraph field for the company name? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Theoretically you could craft an expression rule that takes the text in variable local!companyName and does a fuzzy search among other text variables, local!freehandField1, local!freehandField2, etc - to see if there are any "similar but not exact" matches -- but this seems like it would be an enormous task and even if implemented perfectly, could lead to false-positive validations which the user would then be stuck with.

The only other thing that comes to my mind is to have the user type in the company name in the required field, then invent a replacement syntax where they type in an escape sequence (something they wouldn't normally be likely to type for any other reason would be best - like "###" maybe). Then you instruct them to type the replacement text instead of the company name in the other places on that form, and on-form logic could go around and replace it afterward. This would be relatively simple to implement, but i'd bet there are some users who would never stop being confused by what to do -- no matter how well you explain it to them.
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Theoretically you could craft an expression rule that takes the text in variable local!companyName and does a fuzzy search among other text variables, local!freehandField1, local!freehandField2, etc - to see if there are any "similar but not exact" matches -- but this seems like it would be an enormous task and even if implemented perfectly, could lead to false-positive validations which the user would then be stuck with.

The only other thing that comes to my mind is to have the user type in the company name in the required field, then invent a replacement syntax where they type in an escape sequence (something they wouldn't normally be likely to type for any other reason would be best - like "###" maybe). Then you instruct them to type the replacement text instead of the company name in the other places on that form, and on-form logic could go around and replace it afterward. This would be relatively simple to implement, but i'd bet there are some users who would never stop being confused by what to do -- no matter how well you explain it to them.
Children
No Data