Grid With Images - Adding Images to a column and displaying them (Many to Many Relationship)

I want to be able to upload images to a grid and show them for the users to view the images. 

The problem is its not

1) 1 to 1 relationship ( i.e one row will have only image)

2) 1 to many relationship ( i.e one row will have many images)

Its many to many - many rows together can be associated with many images, many rows together can be associated with 1 image, 1 row can be associated with 1 image or 1 row can associated with many images.

Basically looking for Something like an excel sheet where i can merge the cells and show them as common for certain rows. Attached image for reference.

I am looking for suggestions as to the best UX for this feature.

Uploading:

What is the best way to build this to ensure users can select multiple rows and upload associated images for those selections, ability to remove a row with an association, ability to reassign a row from one associated image to another in case i have assigned it wrongly.

Viewing:

See the associated images directly on the grid instead of clicking a link and showing the images as links. In the paging grid, i can show only 1 image per row and not more than that. I also cannot associate multiple rows with same set of image.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Siddharth,
    Displaying multiple images is a definite UX challenge. Hoping you already have resolved multi-dimensional array issue, here is my advise on UX:
    a. Carousel- Using gridLayout() Try to create carousel like user experience where users would have one (or two at max) images shown following by pagination links. < and >. These links would change images and will be disabled when end of pagination is reached.
    b. Zoom In- Show images using 'TINY' and 'ICON' style and clicking on any image would zoom in the image. You can also try to use 'Thumbnail' if you intend to display image in full screen
  • Hi Siddharth,

You most likely will not be able to display the images directly in the grid. The issue is challenging because the rows will not have the same number of images. Instead this is the approach I would suggest:

1. Select the rows you would like to add images to.

2. Display an upload field somewhere outside of the grid.

3. Upload as many images in the upload field as is desired.

4. User clicks a button "Upload Images" which will reload the form (In the save into on this button, associate each image with the selected rows).

5. In the grid, there is a link on each row to "View Images", which uses the In-Place Drill Down design pattern from the Appian documentation.

Hope that helps!