a!startProcessLink() redirecting back to last clicked PM

I am using a!startProcessLink() to create four different actions from a main page. Main page is part of a process model which contains start node >> main Page (where all four start process links are configured) >> end node (configured to terminate). 

When i launch main process model it shows me page with four link e.g "A", "B", "C" & "D". I also have one "exit" button as buttonWidgetSubmit in main page. If i click on any of the link it will it will launch related PM and clicking on "Back" button will redirect to the main page. Problem is that when i click on "exit" button afterwards, process redirect me to last clicked link instead of completely exit process.

e.g.

main page  >> link "A" >> back button >> main page >> link "B" >> back button >> main page >> clicked exit will redirect me as if i clicked on link "B" and open "B"'s UI.

Any advise would be great help. 

Note: "All in tempo under Action tab"

Thanks,

Ajay Pandey

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I've been able to build a small app where I can easily reproduce this behavior.  I think the problem errs a bit further into "unexpected behavior" territory than what you described,  - in the case of this behavior, I can see no justification (accidental or otherwise) that the "exit" button click from the main parent "action" form should invoke the related action again instead of dumping the user back to the Actions tab as expected.

One note - I believe I've confirmed that the behavior only happens when viewing the task from the Actions tab; if, for example, I leave the task open and click over to Tasks and open it from there, the Exit button behaves as normal, regardless of whether I click into and out of either of the start process links first.

Please see the attached app (contains all precedents and nothing overly burdensome).

Test Activity Chaining Demo.zip

• Thats correct mike. If you use task tab it will behave like an individual task however when you go back and forth on main interface it will show you "The task has already been submitted." message since the previous task already been submitted.

I am thinking to avoid using startProcessLink function in using old fashion radio buttons to call desire subprocess. Will give a last try to open a support case.

Thanks,
    Ajay
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to ajayp

So far my main use case for Start Process Links has been in Task Reports, since it allows me to essentially create purely database-backed "tasks" that aren't actually tasks and don't rely on running processes / clunky task reports / group assignments to pull back. Luckily there's no such issue when using them from task reports, and I assume there is similarly no issue when using them in regular reports or on Record Dashboard forms. I don't think I've used any inside an actual running process yet, though I understand that there are probably valid use cases for this.

By any chance have you tried using Submit Links in your parent process task? Using submit links will not only cause your form to submit and step forward to a chained subprocess / etc, but also you can use the link itself to store a specific value into a rule input (essentially mimicing how a regular button works), which could be used to select the desired subprocess (since you mentioned maybe needing to use radio buttons for this).

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to ajayp

So far my main use case for Start Process Links has been in Task Reports, since it allows me to essentially create purely database-backed "tasks" that aren't actually tasks and don't rely on running processes / clunky task reports / group assignments to pull back. Luckily there's no such issue when using them from task reports, and I assume there is similarly no issue when using them in regular reports or on Record Dashboard forms. I don't think I've used any inside an actual running process yet, though I understand that there are probably valid use cases for this.

By any chance have you tried using Submit Links in your parent process task? Using submit links will not only cause your form to submit and step forward to a chained subprocess / etc, but also you can use the link itself to store a specific value into a rule input (essentially mimicing how a regular button works), which could be used to select the desired subprocess (since you mentioned maybe needing to use radio buttons for this).

Children
  • Thanks Mike Schmitt (mschmitt) & Josh for your suggestions. At this moment i am proceeding with large button layout ( so that look and feel would be same for end user). This way i can achieve my goal to go back and forth from main page to all different pages. I'll also look for Appian support response on mentioned behavior.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt
    Here was our use case:

If you have an edit related action for a record and that action needs to be locked to one instance, you may have a splash screen saying something to the effect of "someone is already editing this record." If that person already owned the original edit task, you could have a link to the task instead of telling the user to navigate to his or her tasks tab. If a user navigates to the task this way, completes the task, Appian will redirect him or her back to the related action URL, restarting the related action. Very confusing for the end user!