Download Document Previous Versions

Certified Lead Developer

Hi,

Is there a way for downloading the previous versions of a passed document?
I'd like to show the list of previous versions (and I'm able to do so with Get Document Version Metadata plugin), of a certain document, and being able to download those.

I know it's possible to create an ad-hoc url like https://{your_server}/suite/contents/GetContent.do?id=11111&version=28, however I'm not sure how robust and clear is this way...

Is this the only possibility?

Thanks,
Riccardo

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    Is this for an existing system or for a new one under development currently? If new, then I strongly suggest a database-backed document management solution that you design, along with document versioning controlled by you. Under such a system you would simply write a new database row for an updated document version, which (when a new version) would point to the original document PKID and potentially also contain a version number.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
    The system is under development and, as per your suggestion, we're already controlling and persisting every document's metadata (including version) in a specific table of our database.
    The fact is that, when we want to let the user download an older version of a document (since they have the same ID) we don't have any other way then "construction by hand" of the URL (as shown in the main question).

I guess it's probabily the only way to obtain that functionality.

Thanks,
    Riccardo
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to riccardob
    Well the gist of my suggestion is that, when using a custom DB solution to show documents to users, you can outright skip the in-Appian document versioning system. In other words, even "new versions" uploaded by users would be their own new document object in the Appian system.

This way, your SAIL interface can detect when old versions of a particular document are present and make them available to download with a single click, using standard SAIL components. No need for URL hacking in this case.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to riccardob
    Well the gist of my suggestion is that, when using a custom DB solution to show documents to users, you can outright skip the in-Appian document versioning system. In other words, even "new versions" uploaded by users would be their own new document object in the Appian system.

This way, your SAIL interface can detect when old versions of a particular document are present and make them available to download with a single click, using standard SAIL components. No need for URL hacking in this case.
Children
No Data