Reassign Button for Initiator

We just noticed this functionality, where the Reassign button is not available on forms for the initiator, until they re-access the task from their Tasks List.  I can replicate this in a simple model with one user input task chained from the start node, reassign permissions set to 'can reassign to anyone'.  When you start the process from Actions, only the Save button is visible (even for system admins).  If you immediately click Tasks, and load the same task again, from there, the Reassign button appears.

I can't seem to find anything similar on the forum regarding that functionality, and the 19.1 documentation does not note any situations reassign would not appear other than permissions, which are the same in both situations above.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

We're currently on Appian 19.1

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I'd really like to understand this use case better.

If there's a typical need for someone other than the process initiator to work on the "first" interface - isn't this really describing the "second" step of the process, in which the initiator passes the form on to someone else?  That would be handled with a submission of the current form followed by restarting the form (or starting a different form) assigned to a different user.

• I'd really like to understand this use case better.

If there's a typical need for someone other than the process initiator to work on the "first" interface - isn't this really describing the "second" step of the process, in which the initiator passes the form on to someone else?  That would be handled with a submission of the current form followed by restarting the form (or starting a different form) assigned to a different user.

Children
  • Hey Robert, sure thing.  Note this is not an issue with only the first interface - create a small PM with 3 chained user input tasks, no start form, chain to the first as well from the start event.  As you step through the 2nd, 3rd tasks, the reassign button does not become visible until the task is re-loaded from your tasks list.  For example in a supply chain process we run, "buyers" may initiate the process, step to the 2nd form when items are entered from the PR.  If the catalog returns an issue with a item, they may have to reassign the task to another buyer to resolve.  Typically we would accomplish this with task reassignment permission configuration, but if the tasks are chained from the start event, we have to implement a work-around by manually creating the reassignment logic, adding a bit more to already-busy forms, or, train users to re-load the task (not a great UX). 

I just figured I would check with the community if it was a reportable defect, as we have been on an older version, 19.1.  Today I was able to test on 19.4 with a freshly updated server, it is repeatable there so I did end up logging this with support as #492729.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!  

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris

Just a thought, in your use case, if they know there is an issue and they need to reassign, could you not add a button or text fields to collect the info and submit the task and then either assign a task to the party or (ideally) to a group where someone could pick it up. That way you keep the metrics is a good place with that person's completion of tasks (lag time, completion, etc) and not fault them for the need to reassign, Let them complete their work and let it flow as a step to where it needs to go.

Just a thought...