Permission issue while opening the task on production and it is working of other users belongs to same group

on Production we are getting below error with 1 or 2 users . I checked groups they are added to the groups to which other users have been added

Caused by: com.appiancorp.core.expr.exceptions.ExpressionRuntimeException$AppianExceptionProvider: Expression evaluation error [evaluation ID = I1NS6V4C] in rule 'iv_createsiterecordurlforentity' (called by rules 'iv_gr_object' > … > 'iv_s_caseheader' > 'iv_i_assignadhoctaskwithdocument') at function a!applyComponents [line 113]: PrivilegeException[null=>null]: Insufficient permission (APNX-1-4198-000)

'iv_createsiterecordurlforentity'   doesn't have any applycomponent at line 113.
any pointer will be userfull . I am attaching rule
'iv_createsiterecordurlforentity'  and server logs of that day.

PM is initiated with the designer id at the backend.

I opened this task with Admin user as well and I got same error
I checked other PM in which task is assigned to other users which belongs to same group I am able to open that task.

Any pointer will be helpful as user in not able to complete this task and I cant find any applycomponent with in the attached rule. It seems to be false error and description is not clear even in logs

Thanks,
Pooja

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer

You need to check iv_i_assignadhoctaskwithdocument.  It's not about the rule, but about the rule that it calls, and the rule it calls, and the rule it calls.  Appian alerts like to give you the full rule hierarchy.  You definitely have an applyComonents() on line 113 in one of the rules in the chain.  And applyComponents is notorious for being very difficult to apply null safety to.

Once you find it, you will need to investigate the inputs to try to figure out why one of them would return null.  Try running that rule by itself with different inputs until you're able to reproduce the error.  Now your bug is how in the world the inputs from production got that way.

• thanks for your quick reply I got the apply component is being called exactly at row number 113 . You mean to say that this is returning null

rows: a!applyComponents(
                    function: rule!iv_gr_object(
                      objectInstances: local!allObjectInstances,
                      deletedObjectInstances: ri!deletedObjectInstances,
                      index: _,
                      readOnly: ri!isReadOnly,
                      refreshedObjectInstances: local!refreshedObjectInstances,
                      locationEntity: true(),
                      departmentId: local!departmentId
                    ),
                    array: if(
                      or(
                        rule!APN_isEmpty(
                          local!allObjectInstances
                        ),
                        count(
                          local!allObjectInstances
                        ) < 1
                      ),
                      {},
                      1 + enumerate(
                        count(
                          local!allObjectInstances
                        )
                      )
                    )/*arrayVariable: local!objectInstancesToken*/

),

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to poojaprakashs763

No, one of the parameters of the applyComponents() is null.  applyComponents breaks down completely when it receives a null in place of a list.  Whatever generates the list that's passed into your applyComponents at least sometimes returns 0 rows, and Appian frequently reinterprets zero rows as a null of type Text.

Look at the if().  If the or() returns true, it returns {}.  That's it!  The or part is sort of redundant too, because APN_isEmpty I think already checks for count less than 1.  So, if the local!allObjectInstances is empty or null, it breaks.  Only when there's values in local!allObjectInstances does it ever work without error.

So, whoever designed it really, really tried to add valid null safety, but unfortunately it doesn't work with applyComponents.  When you transfer that to an a!forEach that does the same thing, the null safety will work.  Apply the null safety in the expression parameter of the a!forEach.  If it gets null or empty list, it just returns null or empty list.

Now, part two is going to be figuring out why local!allObjectInstances is empty in this case, and whether it should be.  If it really should, you're done.  Otherwise, you have an additional mystery to solve.

• Thanks a lot David. I checked that already local!allObjectInstances has value in it . I" am now confused with "Insufficient permission" given in the logs . So you means to say if null is passed to Applycomponent it may give "Insufficient permission" error.

Certified Lead Developer
    PrivilegeException[null=>null]

That's the entire basis for this argument.

Now, given that there is a value, we have to investigate further what it is about that value.

Perhaps whoever (if the value is a person) doesn't have any permissions.  Or is it a DB pointer that doesn't really point to a user at all?