Understand interface object behavior with record action field and refresh variables

Hi, 

I have an interface which is using a refresh variable and a record action field which will only work with expression snippets  as show below (I purposely didn't past entire interface definition as it has many nested interfaces and  just wanted to focus on my outcome).

local!intakerequest: a!refreshVariable(
value: rule!DCI_GetIntakeRequestById(intakeRequestId: ri!intakeRequestId),
refreshAfter:"RECORD_ACTION"

),

a!recordActionField(
actions: {
a!recordActionItem(
action: 'recordType!{e19760c9-8977-46f1-bf08-97b73c278803}DCI_DocUnderstanding.actions.{4f1ebdde-3588-4309-a45b-4e838a3c15c0}reIndex',
identifier: ri!selectedCard.understandingId
)
},
style: "TOOLBAR",
display: "LABEL_AND_ICON",
openactionsin: "SAME_TAB",
align: "END"
)

The process model triggered the the related action updates the intake request CDT reference by local!intakerequest variable and then nested interfaces re-render correctly according to new state.   

However if I change the openactionsin value  to "DIALOG" the refresh variable does not refresh or  the nested interface objects are not being re-evaluated  with the new state.   

If anyone can explain why the "DIALOG"  value changes the behavior it would be greatly appreciated.   Im missing something in my understanding of interface life cycle and refresh variables which I want to correct.

Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible