How to validate fields on hidden section?

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

I have a form with 2 button tabs A and B. Each one displays a section with fields (section A and Section B).

Initially, the section A is visible (section B not visible).

How may I validate the fields of the section B?

My Submit button validates only the visible fields section, so, if fields of section A are correct (and fields of Section B are not), the form is wrongly submitted.

Regards

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

It gets trickier to deal with when you need to do it this way, but after you've implemented it you'll have a lot more power/control at least.

First, you should keep track of the validity of each section (overall) in a local variable.  i.e. local!SectionAHasValidationError (boolean), etc.  Utilizing a!localVariables() under default settings, you should simply be able to evaluate the validity of your Section A fields with normal logic in the variable definition, and it would update itself anytime any of those values is changed.

Then, as Pedro said above, add a Form Level validation which fires at the Submit event, which itself checks which (if any) of the Section X Validation Error variables is "true", and perhaps advises the user which section has the error - they can then switch back to that section and see the particular validations on the fields themselves.

Certified Lead Developer

It gets trickier to deal with when you need to do it this way, but after you've implemented it you'll have a lot more power/control at least.

First, you should keep track of the validity of each section (overall) in a local variable.  i.e. local!SectionAHasValidationError (boolean), etc.  Utilizing a!localVariables() under default settings, you should simply be able to evaluate the validity of your Section A fields with normal logic in the variable definition, and it would update itself anytime any of those values is changed.

Then, as Pedro said above, add a Form Level validation which fires at the Submit event, which itself checks which (if any) of the Section X Validation Error variables is "true", and perhaps advises the user which section has the error - they can then switch back to that section and see the particular validations on the fields themselves.

Children