Adding a table/grid to a Word Template without a plugin

Certified Senior Developer

Is it possible to have a data subset populate as a table in a Word Document (template) without using a plugin, but by using the OOTO Word Doc from Template smart service? If so, how do you configure that in the template?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

It's doable using WordML injection, which takes a bit of experimentation and somewhat more insight into the back-end workings of Word files than normal.  I created a working version of this years ago and I uploaded my (21.1) cleaned-up export of this a few weeks ago in this thread.  It contains all the needed expression rules as well as a process model with a demonstrative implementation of the doc generation.

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thanks Mike! We just installed the Dynamic Document plugin, but I will check out your solution as well since it would eliminate the need to maintain a plugin. 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to judym598

Honestly, if you can get the Dynamic Document plugin working for your use case, I would seriously consider just using that, as it will allow for a more maintained and potentially more robust implementation.  The one thing I'm not sure it can do, which mine can, is to create a grid with a dynamic number of columns.  But on the other hand I'd warn that my version has proven unreliable at creating grids that behave properly if you want to take the Word file and turn it into a PDF.  So just FYI.

As a side note, honestly it's not a realistic expectation to have a system that uses no plug-ins, because there is a lot of really useful and/or irreplacable functionality that's only available via various plugins (people functions, excel tools, PDF tools, etc), and there's almost never any real maintenance burden or other reason to avoid using them.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to judym598

Honestly, if you can get the Dynamic Document plugin working for your use case, I would seriously consider just using that, as it will allow for a more maintained and potentially more robust implementation.  The one thing I'm not sure it can do, which mine can, is to create a grid with a dynamic number of columns.  But on the other hand I'd warn that my version has proven unreliable at creating grids that behave properly if you want to take the Word file and turn it into a PDF.  So just FYI.

As a side note, honestly it's not a realistic expectation to have a system that uses no plug-ins, because there is a lot of really useful and/or irreplacable functionality that's only available via various plugins (people functions, excel tools, PDF tools, etc), and there's almost never any real maintenance burden or other reason to avoid using them.

Children