Smart Service

Why only one smart service can be executed in an interface saveInto parameter at the same time?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Danny Verb
    This is a current product limitation

I'm already familiar with this limitation and all, but isn't it a bit outdated at this point? 

I understand that bad design practices could inadvertently cause heavy load / inefficient executions etc, but of course that's still true even with this limitation in place.  The only thing it really seems to be doing at this point is artifically forcing us to use process-backed solutions in some instances where we would otherwise just need to execute 2 smart services within a single saveInto, for example.

• We're definitely aware of this as a potential use case, but there's also some tricky parts to this. For example - what order of operations do you run if you can execute multiple smart services at once? What happens if one of them fails - do we stop all of the operations or continue them? The nice thing is that a process model already has the ability to define a workflow to answer these questions. Plus, sometimes it's preferred to have a clear limitation that is easy to plan for rather than a more nuanced one that is more difficult to understand when you could encounter it.

That being said If you have specific use cases where you can't use a process model to complete multiple operators let us know!

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Thanks Peter. From my perspective this is not a limitation but an important feature of Appian.