Button validating outside its validation group.

Hello,

I am currently having some issues with validation groups on a button I have in a child interface. I will be referencing the picture below.

The Save button on the bottom right has validate set to true, and is in the validation group "save_1". The fields "Expected Effort & Expertise Level" and "Total Payment Amount" are set to required, and are also in validation group "save_1". The whole section Organization Details is in a child interface, and the Section Add Participant Search Criteria is part of the parent. When I click the Save button, the fields from Participant Search Criteria are also validated despite not being in the validation group.

I understand this can be avoided by placing them in a separate validation group, but that forcibly removes the asterisk (*) from the field which is unwanted. Am I possibly missing something about the validation group, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    that forcibly removes the asterisk (*) from the field which is unwanted

This is a major component of why I never use validation groups.  I was about to say "rarely", but I hesitated and thought about times I have used it - and in every instance I eventually give up and just use a different approach.

There are powerful possibilities nowadays - between varying what buttons are enabled at what times depending on which values have been filled, to form-level and/or section-level validation messages using a!validationMessage() set to validate only upon form submission.  I'm sorry I can't suggest a more concrete solution for you at the moment, though if you explain a bit more about what behavior you were trying to accomplish (from a medium-high level), I might have more to offer.

• Hey Mike thanks for the reply,

I'm currently using the "disabled" feature for the button so that the button is disabled until all the required fields have been filled out. It's less than ideal, but it does work.

I'll take a look at the a!validationMessage(), also here's a quick explanation of the behavior I'm trying to accomplish: 

I have a start form that has several tabs to fill out. This start form is used to create an "activity". In one of the tabs, the user is able to search and add participants to a roster in association with the activity. After selecting some participants, the user must answer a set of questions by selecting a grid row. The interface on the bottom (Organization Details) then pops up with said questions. It's a child interface called from this start form. Upon clicking "save," the intention is that the save button will validate the required fields for these questions. The above part (Add Participant Search Criteria) is in the same tab, but isn't part of the child interface. The "save" button should only validate the questions in the same validation group. For instance, if I click save it shouldn't apply validation to the questions "Activity Recipient Type", etc. but should apply validation to "Expected Effort & Expertise Level."

Let me know if that's helpful at all. 

Thanks.

• Hey Mike thanks for the reply,

I'm currently using the "disabled" feature for the button so that the button is disabled until all the required fields have been filled out. It's less than ideal, but it does work.

I'll take a look at the a!validationMessage(), also here's a quick explanation of the behavior I'm trying to accomplish: 

I have a start form that has several tabs to fill out. This start form is used to create an "activity". In one of the tabs, the user is able to search and add participants to a roster in association with the activity. After selecting some participants, the user must answer a set of questions by selecting a grid row. The interface on the bottom (Organization Details) then pops up with said questions. It's a child interface called from this start form. Upon clicking "save," the intention is that the save button will validate the required fields for these questions. The above part (Add Participant Search Criteria) is in the same tab, but isn't part of the child interface. The "save" button should only validate the questions in the same validation group. For instance, if I click save it shouldn't apply validation to the questions "Activity Recipient Type", etc. but should apply validation to "Expected Effort & Expertise Level."

Let me know if that's helpful at all. 

Thanks.

Children