What is the expected behavior of "fv!selectedRows" when using Record Data in a Grid?

Certified Lead Developer

More frustrations (adding to the pile) in switching over to RecordType style data, and/or supporting other people who use it as is my particular case...

I happened to notice the other day, if you save "fv!selectedRows" into any sort of variable, from a!gridField() when using RecordType data, it does NOT (seemingly(?)) work as expected.

• What it does: sets the save target to the value referenced by visible columns only plus the primary key.  By "visible columns" I mean only those which have been added to the grid, for some reason(?).
  • What I was expecting: when using Entity Data, "fv!selectedRows" will save the entire row in question (regardless of which columns have been added to the grid).
  • What the documentation says: well, not that much... but the implication is that using it should "avoid having to re-query data", which is not what we're seeing here.

The important use case: I want a grid to select rows, edit the selected data, then save that back to the DB.  Obviously if my entire row isn't captured into the save target, this causes extra hurdles I must watch out for before writing back to the DB, lest I accidentally overwrite some columns with blank values.
Note: this might be an easy hurdle for me or other mid/senior designers to overcome - but i'm trying to coach a newer designer through selecting rows on a grid to update specific fields then write that back, and roadblocks like this can be complete derailments in these scenarios.

So, hive mind, what's the consensus here?  Is this intended functionality, where the details just aren't documented?  Is it a bug?  Are most folks still avoiding this functionality, and therefore nobody noticed this yet either way?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible