Anyone else having quirky issues with Expression Editor boxes in Chrome for the past version or so?

Certified Lead Developer

I began noticing this around 22.2, plus or minus - if you're editing an interface with the expression editor box open, clicks on or near the left edge of the interface (such as checkboxes, etc), actually click inside the expression editor box, leading to some unexpected and fairly frustrating run-arounds.  I've verified that this seems to be present in Chrome but not Firefox, and i've verified it on the computer of at least one other designer.

When opening the Inspector and using the "select an element" tool, I can visualize what I can only assume the culprit actually is - there is what seems to be a pretty severe overlap of the expression editor text area, encroaching into the left edge of the preview interface:

In the above screenshot, if I click my cursor anywhere in that green margin (even when it's clearly over the "First Name" text box), it causes the cursor to land in (and move) the expression edit box.  If I have a read-only grid with selection boxes, they're almost impossible to actually select since only the furthest-right maybe 1/5th of the checkbox is actually checkable without accidentally selecting the expression editor's "greedy region".

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if Appian has any official feedback and/or news on a fix - it's pretty irritating to have to tiptoe around this issue 100% of the time.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris

Thanks - I assume the issue doesn't go back that far, or else I *really* wasn't paying much attention, lol... but i'm curious whether there are enough people here on a large enough variety of older versions that we could track down which version this started in?  My guess would be 22.2 or 22.1, though it's hard to say at this point.

• So, I happened to notice this today (21.1) for the first time when developing with a window open less than my monitor width.  When clicking the checkboxes (only in the actual box which is inside the green), it instead puts the curser on that expression line on the left, instead of selecting the checkbox, as if the expression div is floating over the interface div:

When expanding the Chrome window across 2 monitors, the green section moves out of the way of the checkboxes so you do not notice, but it still floats into the right section:

So I'm assuming it has been present for a while, but requires a selection on the very left and changes based on browser width..

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris
    When clicking the checkboxes (only in the actual box which is inside the green), it instead puts the curser on that expression line on the left

that's actually the exact same use case in which i first started noticing it, and of course it took me some months to bother to sit down and try troubleshooting it a bit.  I usually have chrome windowed taking up maybe 80 - 90% of the screen space, but it actually doesn't matter that much exactly how big the window is because the behavior stays about the same unless i drastically change it (or hide the expression editor completely).  Interesting observation though about expanding the window such that it stretches over 2 monitors.  Though even if I stretch my interface editor out so it takes up most of 3 monitor widths, I still see this:

Note, I have my preview mode set to "Fit", so it might work differently if you use one of the other settings.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Chris
    When clicking the checkboxes (only in the actual box which is inside the green), it instead puts the curser on that expression line on the left

that's actually the exact same use case in which i first started noticing it, and of course it took me some months to bother to sit down and try troubleshooting it a bit.  I usually have chrome windowed taking up maybe 80 - 90% of the screen space, but it actually doesn't matter that much exactly how big the window is because the behavior stays about the same unless i drastically change it (or hide the expression editor completely).  Interesting observation though about expanding the window such that it stretches over 2 monitors.  Though even if I stretch my interface editor out so it takes up most of 3 monitor widths, I still see this:

Note, I have my preview mode set to "Fit", so it might work differently if you use one of the other settings.

Children
No Data