Dropdown/custom picker (to utilize auto suggestions) with the option to enter new values?

Hello,

I'm looking for an text field (user input) which will auto suggest values (based on a database field). Afaik, that is something dropdown fields and with some more logical a customer picker can provide except they wont allow for new values to be entered.

What would be a good way (if any) to achieve this?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

That requires some tricks. A custom picker field expects a datasubset returned from the suggest function. That datasubset has a field called "identifiers" which is of type ANY. This means that you can put your whole record in it, instead of just the ID.

When your user now looks for a non-existing item, you just have to add the entered search string to the field "data" and a new record (empty primary key!) to the identifiers field.

I use this to provide a field to enter keywords mixing existing and new ones.

• Thank you, that helped. Basically what I did was to enhance the pattern recipe-configure-an-array-picker.html

• add the keyword
      • to the result list of the search function
      • to the value list of the customer picker

(I did not yet needed an new record - but that is really nice to know that this would be achievable as well)

Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to BE.Thomas

can you plx share some sample code for this? 

• Yes, but I'm not sure if my usecase fit yours. I've adopted the pattern a bit

That's is the search function (with the keyword (or filter) added to the result):

a!localVariables(
      local!matches: where(
        a!forEach(
          items: ri!labels, 
          expression: search( ri!filter, fv!item)
        )
      ),
      a!dataSubset(
        data: union(index( ri!labels, local!matches), ri!filter), 
        identifiers: union(index( ri!labels, local!matches), ri!filter)
      )
    )

Finally, I did not need to add the keyword to the customer picker because I was looking for a single value, so putting the result of the customer picker in a local variable was just fine for me:

a!pickerFieldCustom(
      label: "Country",
      labelPosition: "ADJACENT",
      maxSelections: 1,
      suggestFunction: rule!ucArrayPickerFilter(
        filter:_,
        labels: local!countryList
      ),
      selectedLabels: local!selCountry,
      value: local!selCountry,
      saveInto: local!selCountry,
      required: true