Interface unable to display

Certified Associate Developer

Hi,

I am working on the Mobile Pocket Library App and I am trying to modify the Book_Summary Interface. I get the following error when I add the ShowBookDetails rule with my record rule input as its book parameter.

Could not display interface. Please check definition and inputs. Interface Definition: Expression evaluation error at function a!cardLayout [line 12]: A card layout has an invalid value for "contents". The contents contain a component that is not supported in the card layout. Received: FormLayout

I use the following expression just as the Appian tutorial specifies: 

rule!ISBN_ShowBookDetails(

book: ri!record

)

Any assistance with fixing this issue would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Loos like the rule SBN_ShowBookDetails is having a formlayout() in it. And you are trying to call this within a card layout. Just check if you can remove the formLayout in the book details rule. That will resolve the issue. If not, directly call this rule instead of calling it in a cardLayout() in the parent rule.

Form Layout can't be created as a card layout content thus this error is coming.

Certified Lead Developer

Hi Tahesha,
    It seems You are trying to add a form layout as content to the Card Layout something like the below,

Is your rule!ISBN_ShowBookDetails returning Form Layout and are you trying to call this interface from CardLayout contents?

in that case, You have to think about picking a proper interface container to call the rule.

Thanks

in reply to Harsha Sharma

Hi Harsha,

Thank you for your response. I am new to Appian Developing so I am trying to understand what you mean. I am adding a screenshot of the interface, code, and error message. I hope the issue I'm having is clearer with this added information. I am not sure how to fix the error.

in reply to karthikr1237

Hi Karthik,

Thank you for your response! Yes, I am trying to add a card layout in a column layout. That is the exact error I get. I am adding a screenshot of the interface, code, and error message. I hope the issue I'm having is clearer with this added information. I am still not sure how to fix the error as I am very new to Appian developing and trying to learn by duplicating the Mobile Pocket Library App.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Tahesha

You are calling a rule having formlayout in within the cardlayout at line 13. Thus is the error. Can you delete the formlayout() and keep just the contents in the showbookdetails rule? 

1. Delete everything in the show book details rule except contents mentioned inside {} and save it. The summary rule will start working properly.

The error is self explanatory- you cant have a formlayout within a card layout so either get rid of the form layout or the card layout until you can get the accepted layout structure in your interface. 

Alternatively you can replace the formlayout in the showbookdetails rule with a section layout and call it directly in the bookSummary rule without encapsulating in a card->column-.section layout. So

1. replace formalyout with section and do changes in relation to proper attributes

2. delete the section layout in book summary rule and call the book details rule directly as rule!ISBM_showBookDeatils(ri!record) within the parent rule.

If you are following a tutorial there seems to be some error while creating these interfaces. Please recheck for correct layout configs

This is very clear. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Harsha!

It worked! What seemed so complicated, you made so clear. Just as you said, get rid of the formLayout in ShowBookDetails and the issue would resolved. I switched the formLayout to a sectionLayout, and voila, issue resolved. 

Thanks again!