Table formt (column Width)

Hell Dears,

I am working on a project that contains multiple tables, what I noticed while I am working on a table is that the column width is set based on the column name width.

In other words, if I have a long name of a column header this column width is larger than the column that has a short name.

I am looking for a way to set a column width based on the column values rather than the column name.

Would you please help me with this issue?

Thank you in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Are we talking about gridColumn width in a Read only grid?

I think "AUTO" width handles it pretty well.

Can you explain in more detail what actually are you looking for and may be add some screenshot and code snippet?

Certified Associate Developer

In SQL, column widths are typically not set explicitly. The width of a column is determined by the data type of the column and the length of the data in the column.

However, some database management systems or tools may have options for adjusting the column width for display purposes. For example, in SQL Server Management Studio, you can adjust the column width in the query results by dragging the column separator or by right-clicking on the column and selecting "AutoFit Column Width" or "Set Column Width".

If you are working with a programming language or a reporting tool that uses SQL queries to retrieve data, you may be able to adjust the display width of the column in the code.

for instance in backend ->

SELECT CAST(column_name AS CHAR(50)) AS column_alias FROM table_name;
    /*50 as long width required*/

in frontend(SAIL interfaces) ->
    {
      a!gridField(
        label: "Read-only Grid",
        labelPosition: "ABOVE",
        data: null,
        columns: {a!gridColumn(width: "10X")}, /*column width */
        validations: {}
      )
    }

Certified Lead Developer

There is no explicit way to define column width. Only a relative one. In case you have a long column header, but short values, you might want to think about abbreviating the header. A tooltip can help to provide further information to the user.