Dynamic grid column based on a one-to-many relationship

Hi there,

I've got a business needs where I have 2 records types (let's call them RT1 and RT2). RT1 has a one-to-many relationship with RT2 and I need to display a grid where my row would be RT1, in which the first 5 columns would be property of RT1 while the following columns would be dynamically added based on possible values of RT2, this mean the number of columns would be equal to the number of properties of RT1 + the number of possible values for RT2.

This could give something like : 

Name Color Brand Model Places Feat1 Feat2 Feat3 Feat4 Feat5
XYZ Blue Ford GT 2 1000 200 500 1500 600
ABC Red Mazda CX-9 7 2500 3000

What would be the best architecture to build that?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

All UI components in Appian can be made dynamic. So, well, if that UI has to look like this, then a normal grid should do it.

• Hi Stefan,
    great, my main concern is more about how should I load the child in each row? Usually we feed a query result, but in this case I'm not sure which data structure I should use? Custom Data Fied, RecordType, dictionnary, etc.

I've got about 800 items, which can have up to 80 features (some item can have 1-2 features, while other have 50-60). Right now we are building a dictionary dynamically but the load time is long (like 30s with RecordType, while it take's SQL less than 1 to generate the same data).

To put you in better context, we are aware that the grid will overflow the screen and this is not a concern for us. Also, I understand some Item will only have values in column 1, 2,3,4,5,52,67, while other may have value in each columns.

• Hi Stefan,
    great, my main concern is more about how should I load the child in each row? Usually we feed a query result, but in this case I'm not sure which data structure I should use? Custom Data Fied, RecordType, dictionnary, etc.

I've got about 800 items, which can have up to 80 features (some item can have 1-2 features, while other have 50-60). Right now we are building a dictionary dynamically but the load time is long (like 30s with RecordType, while it take's SQL less than 1 to generate the same data).

To put you in better context, we are aware that the grid will overflow the screen and this is not a concern for us. Also, I understand some Item will only have values in column 1, 2,3,4,5,52,67, while other may have value in each columns.

Children