Cascading Dropdown with unlimited level

Hello All,

I need your guidance and assistance regarding the creation of a cascading dropdown interface that supports an unlimited or variable number of levels.

The purpose of the interface is to display data retrieved from a reference database table, where the values of the child level dropdowns are determined by the parentId field in the table. The cascading dropdown interface will be used to present hierarchical data from the reference database table. Each dropdown level represents a different level in the hierarchy, with the child level options being dynamically populated based on the selected value of the parent level. The goal is to enable users to navigate through the hierarchy seamlessly, regardless of the number of levels it comprises.

The database table looks like this . ParentId is FK refer to Id field.

Id, level parentId

1   l1v1      null

2   l1v2       null

3   l1v3       null

4   l2v1       1

5   l2v2       1

6   l2v3       2

The problem is currently it is just for 2 level but n future client can add ( through admin functionality) more levels in the hierarchy.

I would like to make the cascade dropdown  flexible enough to handle the future data. The child levels dropdowns will keep on appearing until one of the parent level has no child level values in the database.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your insights and suggestions on how to implement this.

Regards,

Surjit

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible