How to copy values of a filled editable grid into another grid in an interface

Hi! I have an editable grid which is filled by the user (possible to add new rows), like in this example:

The editable grid values are saved in a Record, and they all have a common field for each grid created (for example, Employee Set 1, even though it is not shown in the example it should be another column)

Now, I would like to "copy" the created matrix into a grid in another interface, being able to create new columns but  without the possibility of adding extra-rows (I mean, without the "Add Employee" dynamic link)

To be clear, my idea is to re-use the data in another grid, and add a column to identify the data for a new purpose

Thanks a lot!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to carlosp5114
    I have seen another post in the appian community forum, and they propose this way for each column of the editable grid having the local variable (array)

Given that it's my comment you screenshotted here - I feel the need to point out that the post in question is not about editable grids at all, but is in fact about the old-style Paging Grid (currently called Read-Only Grid, but still referenced via a!gridField()).  The construct for the different types of grids is completely dissimilar.

I still can´t view in a clear way how to toy with the record type constructor in the editable grid, and where should I use it in the editable grid structure

I'm assuming this just means that you'd use the Record Type Constructor to manually set up a local variable to contain a few rows of record type data (aka "fake data" but in a real structure), and/or use the constructor in the "add row" link (if you're using it) to force certain default values into the new row you're adding.

• Thanks for your answer Mike! First of all, you are absolutely right, the post was about the structure of a Read-Only Grid with the a!GridField function, but I thought maybe I could catch some similarities for my purpose. It´s my mistake.

On the other hand, wouldn´t be enough to use the a!query function to set up my local variable (array)? Like in this example:

In this case, I don´t want the user to add new rows or delete them, just to set up the values of the initial array in my editable grid. Where should I include the record type constructor? Is it really necesary to set up the local variable? Any explanation would be helpful

Thanks again for your response

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to carlosp5114

We are talking three different things here. You need to isolate and understand each of them before finally solving that larger challenge.

Record Type constructor: As Mike pointed out, this is just to create some fake data. Again, split a problem into smaller pieces and solve each piece.

Editable grid: If you remove/hide the addRowLink, no user can add any new item.

Query: Once all of the above works, add the last piece to the puzzle and replace the fake data with real data. And yes, that requires a local.

Some tips on problem solving: www.freecodecamp.org/.../how-to-think-like-a-programmer-lessons-in-problem-solving-d1d8bf1de7d2

• Alright, step by step:

1) Record Type Constructor: I still don´t know why I should create fake data by this way. Until now, for my editable grids filled by hand for the user, I directly created my local variable (empty) and then replaced it with the data introduced by the user

2) Editable grid: I removed the addrowlink correctly

Now, I´m still not sure how to manage to "replace the fake data with real data"

1. Grid I want to "copy" / "query"

2. Editable grid I want to replace with data of the last grid

My first trial of new code (not working)

Any help with the code would be useful! Thanks again

a!localVariables(
      local!grid,
      {
        a!sectionLayout(
          label: "Líneas Factura",
          labelIcon: "list-alt-solid",
          contents: {
            a!gridLayout(
              label: "A continuación, incorpore las líneas de factura correspondientes y pulse el botón de creación",
              headerCells: {
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Linea Pedido"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Pedido"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Proveedor"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Material"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Precio Unitario"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Cantidad"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell(label: "Importe Total"),
                a!gridLayoutHeaderCell()
              },
              columnConfigs: {
                a!gridLayoutColumnConfig(width: "DISTRIBUTE"),
                a!gridLayoutColumnConfig(width: "ICON")
              },
              rows: a!forEach(
                items: ri!recordLineasPedido,
                expression: a!gridRowLayout(
                  contents: {
                    a!textField(
                      value: fv!index,
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{181742a7-4305-4134-b05e-4eebc9c56292}idLineaFactura']
                    ),
                    a!textField(
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{60774c8e-9b47-486f-9fea-b32c525c05fd}idPedido']
                    ),
                    a!textField(
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{844be35b-6de5-434e-9c69-e7c7b8a148dd}proveedor']
                    ),
                    a!textField(
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{019eb28b-727b-4e2c-8160-1bcf8a747ef1}material']
                    ),
                    a!integerField(
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{eda9bda7-ae57-44e7-a651-d097c8581021}precioUnit']
                    ),
                    a!floatingPointField(
                      saveInto: fv!item['recordType!{6e637180-b344-49d2-a1f7-f87eed0041ba}CPF Lineas Factura.fields.{53f231a2-9bf7-40a1-af07-74373fa7bd9f}importe']
                    )
                  }
                )
              )
            )
          }
        ),
        a!buttonLayout(
          primaryButtons: {
            a!buttonWidget(
              label: "Completar Creación Factura",
              saveInto: a!save(ri!recordLineasFact, local!grid),
              submit: true,
              style: "PRIMARY",
              validate: true
            )
          },
          secondaryButtons: {
            a!buttonWidget(
              label: "Cancelar",
              value: true,
              saveInto: ri!cancel2,
              submit: true,
              style: "NORMAL",
              validate: false
            )
          }
        )
      }
    )

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to carlosp5114

Well, an empty grid without an option to add any rows is a bit boring and hard to test. That's what the fake data is for.

Once things work, use a!queryRecordType to load the data into that local, replacing the fake data.

BTW, I am not sure what exactly you mean with "data from the last grid". My assumption is that you store this data to the database as the user submits that form.